General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider bad weather please advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 03:56 PM
MidlyfeHDcrysess
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New rider bad weather please advise

I'm sorry if this subject has a thread existing? New rider also new poster here.
I recently acquired my m2 endorsement up here in Ontario,30 minutes east of Toronto.
Have a few hours in the saddle and few hundred miles experience period! Only been out in the most perfect conditions,warm 18-30° sunny and calm. I am anxious to get more time and miles but 50% maybe more of my free time is wet,rainy, windy somewhat miserable condition! I'm nervous and kind of intimidated as I question my own ability when it comes to road conditions but also getting anxious missing out on gaining experience at the same time.
Any advice or suggestions about when and how to handle riding and especially under questionable conditions would be greatly appreciated for sure! Not trying to be a dare devil or a silly fool,just want to ride! I seek your advice because I respect your words,your wisdom and experience! Thanks in advance jim

Old 06-20-2019, 04:03 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

You'll get lots of good advice here. I'll start:
  1. Check those tires! Old tires showing the wear indicators aren't going to work as well in the wet.
  2. Get good rain gear. If you're wet and fatigued, you're more likely to make a mistake.
  3. Take it easy. No sudden throttle changes, no sudden braking. No sudden, hard turning.
  4. Slow down, just not TOO slow. If cars are whipping past you, get off the roadway. You don't want to get rear-ended!
Practice makes perfect, so pick some areas where the traffic is light and practice. Enough times in the wet, you won't much think about it.

The following 3 users liked this post by QNman:
MidlyfeHDcrysess (06-20-2019), soldierbot (06-20-2019), Uncle G. (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 04:07 PM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

The more you get out and practice, the better you will become. Just take it easy and don't push yourself too hard. And make sure you have good waterproof gear.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mark Faulkner:
MidlyfeHDcrysess (06-20-2019), Uncle G. (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 04:08 PM
holmsea
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Jim
I will never leave on my bike if I know im going to get soaked - and I only ride for pleasure , but I have been caught in some descent rain storms since not even the weather people can predict weather a 100 percent ! ( or at all sometimes )
When it happens I slow down , move over a bit more from approaching cars and give extra space for braking - and just stay relaxed
There are a ton of guys on here that have a ton of miles riding in bad weather that can help alot more than me--
Ride as much as you can , experience is your best friend !
Cheers

The following users liked this post:
MidlyfeHDcrysess (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 04:13 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,661 Likes on 3,224 Posts

Good advice above; to it I will add that roads are their most slick just after rain starts, as accumulated oil on the road hasn't had a chance to wash away yet.

Also, painted sections and lines on the road can be very slippery when wet so use extra caution over those.

The following 3 users liked this post by Dynamick:
GalvTexGuy (06-20-2019), MidlyfeHDcrysess (06-20-2019), sunderhill (06-21-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 05:10 PM
MidlyfeHDcrysess
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you all! Some good advice and very much appreciated for sure, I realize the easiest answer or choice would be just don't ride in the rain but like someone had mentioned above that it will eventually happen and not always by choice. Just want to be best prepared for it and to confirm my suspicion regarding the danger compared to perfect conditions that can be dangerous enough without further obstacles to deal with! I can wait and with more time and practice take the chances with caution and sound advice like yours! Thanks again good people!

Old 06-20-2019, 05:15 PM
fxdup
Road Warrior
Received 950 Likes on 605 Posts

In wet conditions, metal sewer lids in roads are the enemy.

Sorce (06-21-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 05:26 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

^^^^ As are those slick white painted lines and large white sections in crosswalks especially when you're turning on them. I even try to stay off those things when it dry out!

Last edited by Hey Man; 06-20-2019 at 05:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hey Man:
fxdup (06-21-2019), Sorce (06-21-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 05:28 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,274 Likes on 11,144 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdup
In wet conditions, metal sewer lids in roads are the enemy.
...as well the oil that builds up in the center of the lanes, leaves, painted lines, turns.

fxdup (06-21-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 05:44 PM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts

Slow down, turn rather than lean at low speeds. Cover up because rain feels like bb’s at speed. Also being new I would pull over and wait a min of 10 min before setting off again. The first 10 minutes of any rain will wash up all the oil‘s and chemicals out of the pavement it is the most dangerous time even in a car to be moving. Also look out for sewer grates as mentioned earlier but also be very careful with the corrugated bridges they’re all metal and you will slip and slide all over those things. And as you should have learned in the instruction manual the lane has three sections I would never ride in the center section during rain. To be fair I don’t ride in the center section in the dryer either. I have also noticed that some of the new painted lines on the roadway are extremely slick during wet weather. Use common sense and you should be OK.

Quick Reply: New rider bad weather please advise