General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best time to deal on 2007 models?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 09:21 AM
rde
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best time to deal on 2007 models?

I'm seriously thinking about picking up a Heritagesometime before January. From what I see so far, I don't see much difference between the 07's and 08's. I really don't see the point of buying an 08 model. So now I'm wondering what it the best time to try to deal on an 07 bike? I figure there is still a lot of 07 inventory and not much availibility of the 08 models for at least until late September.

Will the dealerships really discount 07's at some point? I wonder what the experience has been with others?

Old 07-14-2007, 09:54 AM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior
Default RE: Best time to deal on 2007 models?

i think it is going to be dealer specific. each dealer gets a certain number of bikes, and that number is based on previous sales (not just him saying "i sold 10 last year, I'll buy ten this year", this is controlled by the moco). If a dealer that has normally sold really large numbers of bikes suddenly isn't selling, his inventory is going to go up because he ordered based on previous history. So, that dealer may be more compelled to "deal" to get his inventory back in order.
My local dealership has signs alll over the place "end of model year sale". Each bike has a tag on it advertising between $1000 and $1500 off MSRP. This is a dealer that was selling at MSRP when the others in the area were all selling at bloated prices.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:14 AM
rde
Road Captain

That's good information-thanks. I may be screwed since all the dealerships around my area seem to sell their inventory fairly well.

Can it work the other way? Suppose a dealership is high volume. Is there an incentive for him to sell volume so he canmaintain inventory for next years models-and therefore discount older models? I guess this would be basic business 101. Maybe in my area I should deal with the highest volume dealership.

I wonder how I could find out sales figures on dealerships? Probably info only the MOCO knows.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Kolni
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The key is to always ask for a lower price.

Hell, demand a lower price!

The worse they can say is no.

I even do this at WalMart and got a 42" plasma TV for 25% off this way.

I hate paying retail for ANYTHING

Old 07-14-2007, 10:33 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The dealers in my area will wheel and deal on their bikes at year end. Once January rolls around any '07 still sitting on the floor will get blown out.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:39 AM
XXXRacing
Road Warrior

Before July 31st, that is when the financing deals are supposed to end. Deals are out there, go get yourself one. Worth it to travel. Between the $$$ off and the financing deal, I saved around $100 / month on my payment from msrp and normal financing (9%)

Old 07-14-2007, 10:41 AM
JLION
Banned

October.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:14 PM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I saw two dealers in PA today who were discounting touring models $1000 off MSRP. They had at least one 08 in the back room, ready to put out on the floor.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:32 PM
NYNickET
Road Captain

wait fer the 08's to hit the floor then wait another month. . . . . i'd say November and if they say thats the best i can do ask for some dealer cash credit twoards stuff after u buy the scooter.

i got 1 thou in dealer cash enough for a left hand grip. just the left. not chrome either. in fact it was in the back room in a milk crate. yeah. but i got it! all mine now too.

i am one slick deal maker i am.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:17 PM
JohnC88
Tourer

You're trying to make this more complicated than it needs to be. If you're serious about buying an 07 you need to get out there and find who has what you want and make a deal now. What good does it do to wait until January and then find out nobody has anything you want? But gee, it sure would have been a great price if they had it.

If you really can't buy a bike until January then nothing today matters. Wait until January and see what anybody has. If they have what you want, make your best deal. If not buy an 08.

Quick Reply: Best time to deal on 2007 models?