General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape Wobble ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 10:24 PM
RazorFXDB
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ape Wobble ??

14" apes on the Bob ...

Developed a wobble when cornering at 75mph or greater.

Any little bump in the road seems to set it off.
I have to be extra careful and really brace the bars.

Has anyone else experienced this.

Only started after I put the new bars on.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:34 PM
darkside
Banned
Default RE: Ape Wobble ??

Did you happen to change the stock riser bushing to polyurethane? If not you should have. You also have to take into account that your more upright with taller bars and are going to be fighting the wind more now.(you've become a sail) That's all going to be exaggerated running at those speeds.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:41 PM
suspect
Cruiser

center of gravity has changed.your fulcrum point has been moved so the same amount of pressure on the bars is now multiplied.try not to grip real hard on the bars when doing that manuever.welcome to the world of apes.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:06 PM
RazorFXDB
Tourer

ORIGINAL: darkside

Did you happen to change the stock riser bushing to polyurethane? If not you should have. You also have to take into account that your more upright with taller bars and are going to be fighting the wind more now.(you've become a sail) That's all going to be exaggerated running at those speeds.
Haven't changed the bushings yet. Will that help with the wobble, do you think?

I figured i'd run it with the rubber bushings for a bit and see, but after 1000 km run this weekend
I'm thinkin' I'd like to change 'em out.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:24 PM
darkside
Banned

It can't hurt.With taller bars you have more leverage and the stock bushings tend to flex alot. It might be you just need to get used to the new riding position and the wind buffeting? The bushings will help make it more responsive to rider input.Hopeyou get it sorted out .Be safe.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:24 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

You basically said what I would have said. I have 16's on my bike and they used to have a little play when I had the stock bushings on. On my last warranty checkup, I told the mechanic about it and they replaced them with the poly ones and it made it a lot better. I also agree about the sail thing. I feel like one also the faster that I go. I feel that it's just part of what a person has to go through if they want tohave apes.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:42 PM
RazorFXDB
Tourer

ORIGINAL: SPRINGER

You basically said what I would have said. I have 16's on my bike and they used to have a little play when I had the stock bushings on. On my last warranty checkup, I told the mechanic about it and they replaced them with the poly ones and it made it a lot better. I also agree about the sail thing. I feel like one also the faster that I go. I feel that it's just part of what a person has to go through if they want tohave apes.

I hear ya both ...

Rode about 300 miles yesterday into a strong headwind for about 225 of those.
Hard on the arms and the neck, but nothing I can't live with.

The wobble on the turns is a bit worrisome tho.

Only at speeds 75 and above while in a turn. Not the ideal place to develop a wobble, to say the least.

Anyway, I'm gonna plan to swap out the bushings mid week and see if it helps.
Like darkside said .. .It can't hurt.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:00 AM
ApeKing
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

No wobble what so ever. 16" Apes on an FLHRS

Old 08-07-2007, 05:59 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 18" on my rk custom. I have the stock rubber bushings. I have no wobble at all. If I hit a big bump and pull back on the bars, with force, they will shift down, and I have to force them back to where I want them. I was told the only real way to stop this is to add a couple of set screws. I will, if it ever becomes a big problem. Right now, it is just slightly irritating. I relax my grip when I see bumps in the road, and that has helped. BTW, you have checked your tire pressure, right?

Old 08-07-2007, 07:23 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

i see you have spokes. check for loose ones start with the rear wheel.

Quick Reply: Ape Wobble ??