General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

" Stage 1 " WORTH IT ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Arcane
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: " Stage 1 " WORTH IT ?

It is the best performance gain per dollar of cost that you can make. When or if you do the Stage 1 is up to you, I put the Stage 1 one as soon as I got the bike and have not regretted it at all.

Arcane

Old 02-12-2008, 04:29 PM
BCguy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also see no reason to wait so I'll have 'stage 1' done to my new RG before it leaves the dealers. The bike runs better so why not right from the get-go?

Old 02-12-2008, 04:31 PM
codyshop
Tourer

Do it, and do it yourself. There are lots of alternatives to SE parts & accessories and in most instances they are of higher quality and lower price. Federal law is quite clear...aftermarket and do-it-yourself have absolutely no effect on your warranty as long as the part is designed for your specific bike. Ray

Old 02-12-2008, 05:40 PM
jedsporty883
Tourer

It is worth the money. You get on the bike, fire it up, and hear that rumble that just says Harley-Davidson. There's no other engine that can make that same sound. I ride an 883 and I would never go back to stock.Your engine is running cooler. It's more fun to ride.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Iceman48
Advanced

You guys were a great help in my decision making. I most definitely will get the stage 1 install after all this positive feedback I have gotten. It seem`s well worththe investment. Thanks again, for all the helpthus far and keep`m coming.

BTW, how doesthe " stage 1 " installaffect the gas mileage ?

Roger

Old 02-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Romark
Road Master

I know I will open a can of worms here but here it goes.

Yes, I do feel that adding pipes and having my bike remaped to match the pipes was worth it. It runs stronger and sounds great. I however don't by into all of the "must haves" that the dealer and everyone says that you must do. Your dealer will tell you that you have to change the air cleaner as a part of this stage 1 kit. My opinion after doing my reasearch is that this is a waste of money on a stock engine. The remap is needed just like rejetting a carb for the change in pipes but the other stuff isn't. The key words here is "stock engine". The stock aircleaner will flow as much air as needed through a superior filtering paper filter. It is well documented that paper filters better than a gauze one. But it doesn't flow better.

I changed my pipes to Reinheart's did the remap and left my air cleaner alone and my bike runs great.

After all, isn't a richer mixture what we are after when we remap? Then why the higher flowing air filter? I believe the performance gains are from the pipes and remap with most of the gains from the remap.

I know my view is not as popular because many have paid well over $1000 for everything that is "Needed". But it is my .02 I usually have to know why I need to spend my hard earned money and if I am going to get my money's worth.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Old 02-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

Anytime you let your bike breath more, it's a good thing, so yes I'd do the stage 1. Are some of the other upgrades worth the money? As a Harley saleman, I'll take the 5th

Old 02-12-2008, 07:01 PM
FatTony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 120 Posts

A stage 1 upgrade is definitely worth it in my humble opinion. I noticed a pretty considerable difference in how my sporty performs after having it done.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:02 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

Yes get it.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:09 PM
gunner065
Road Captain

Had the dealer do the stage 1 done before I picked up my Fatty. Never even heard the stock pipes on it. They are sitting on my work bench. Well worth the money IMHO. With the after market pipes,the bike sounds like a HD should.

Quick Reply: " Stage 1 " WORTH IT ?