General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To wash or not to wash

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:27 AM
scotsport
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To wash or not to wash

I love a clean bike, and I hate so see the corrosion setting in on a bike that's not looked after. But........the contanst pressure to keep it clean was starting to annoy me. I bought the thingto ride, not to look at and worry about.

So I've just applied a good coat of ACF 50 and if this stuff isas good as it's meant to be, it should mean a season of riding in all weathers without having to worry about corrosion. But..... the minute you wash the bike with anything other than cleanwater, its gone and needs to reapplied.

So, the plan this summer is to ride the bike in all weathers, and not wash it other than a hose down now and again. That is: no cleaner, brushes, scrubbing, polishing or anything else of that obsessive stuff - safe in the knowledge that when I do wash it down at the end of the season, there is a 'mint' corrosion free bike lurkingunderneath! Has anyone elso gone down this road with ACF 50 and did it work out (as long that is, that you can stand looking at a dirty bike!)?

Thoughts please..........!

Old 03-02-2008, 11:32 AM
gaindian
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: To wash or not to wash

I usually keep it pretty clean. I've found if you do this then cleaning is usually a 30 minute job, with a couple of hours twice a year for the intense cleaning/polish. The time-saver products I have tried usually only serve to lighten my wallet. Just my .02

Old 03-02-2008, 12:01 PM
landest
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm... sounds like you are chasing the dirt instead of riding..

My routine for what it's worth:

Just spray the bike down once a week with Simple Green... let her sit for 5 min or so, then hose her off.

Once a month I go over the chrome monster and give the paint a coat of wax....

It kind of depends on what is important to ya.If you want your sled to look like a show bike.. ya gotta do the do.. no way around it.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:05 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't like wasting alot of time detailing either. However, I do keep mine looking show-room new. My favorite line is: "$1.50 and 4 minutes at the do it yourself car wash". Just keep the high pressure wand away from instruments, wheel bearings, etc.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:07 PM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just checked out there web site.Looks like a good product to try.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:22 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We don't spend a lot of time shining and polishing to keep our bikes sparkling clean, either. On occasion, we do...but only when we feel like doing it. Usually, we just take them to the carwash, spray it all down with engine clean (which is strong detergent (degreaser) very similar to simple green) and spray it all down. Comes out sparkling clean without the eblow grease.

For any detergent with degreaser (even dish soap), I have learned that it is best to spray it on and immediately rinse it off. We are in the carwash business ... so I know what I am talking about. Do not leave that on your paint job for more than a few minutes (5 minutes is almost too long).

Although,it is great stuff especially for protein stains like bugs guts, it will breakdown your clearcoat over time. It's very hard on a paint job if applied directly to the painted surface and left for any length of time. A wax job will offer more protection from the elements not to mention even spill gas (to a certain extent) so it's always wise to give it a once over to help protect that clear coat (which ultimately protects your paint job).

Old 03-02-2008, 12:42 PM
scotsport
Advanced

Thanks for the replies.

I'm denfinitely coming round to just letting go of the appearance thing, and justfocus on the riding.I just don't want the bike to loose value through 'negelct'. ACF 50 is reputedly the very stuff for the job....

You good guys and girls in the USA(in some states anyway) are blessed with a relatively dry climate. I live inScotland. It rains a lot in Scotland. We have a word for it: "dreech". Think damp, cold andmisty - the kind of creeping unpleasantness that makes your bones stiff and sore. That's dreech. And that's what wehave a lot of in Scotland. 'Dreech', and keeping a Harley clean adds upto a lot of pain and suffering.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:44 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

If you dont keep after it, it will show wear, dirt etc. It will look like you ride it.
Personally, I like to keep it looking as new and nice as possible.
Thats just me.
Personal preference.
Whats good for you is good for you.
MikeM

Old 03-02-2008, 12:51 PM
scotsport
Advanced

"It will look like you ride it"

Deadman 77

I think you just sold me on the idea of never washingit again!

That's somthing that's always 'knawed' away at me with the whole Harley thing. How, and why do most of the bikes look almost unridden? Either they are mostly unridden, or we are a bunch of very committed owners!

Old 03-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

No matter what machines I own, I keep them all clean. I was taught to take of what you have! That just part of ownership. It's all in time management!

Quick Reply: To wash or not to wash