General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXR vs. DYNA

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 04:24 PM
lakebum
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXR vs. DYNA

Anyone know where the fallacy came from that an FXR is classified as a Dyna. I first noticed this on E-Bay, as they group them together making it confusing to find a FXR? I've since noticed that others make the same reference.

I've owned both Dyna's & FXR's, and they are not the same bike!!!!! Other than sharing a narrow glide front end, I don't think they even compare. FXR's have a completely different frame, Primary size & various very different parts. Not to mention the FXR is superior to the Dyna in handling, weight & quickness. If anyone has looked at or ridden both, I think they'll agree.

A mild FXR will outrun and outhandle any Dyna. Don't get me wrong, I think the Dyna is a great bike, but there is NO comparison!!!!!!!!!!

I like 'em both but come on................................................ .!

Old 02-04-2006, 04:49 PM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: FXR vs. DYNA

'Bum,

FXRs have lost their relevence. They've been out of production for a dozen model years. True, they are a superior motorcycle when compared to the Dyna but, there aren't many left out there comparativly.
The Dyna's only real claim to fame is that they are cheaper to manufacture.
I still have my '92 FXRT in stock form and probably will never let it go, it's too unique.
I have owned Dynas but they were not keepers, the FXRT is.

DC.

Old 02-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: lakebum

Anyone know where the fallacy came from that an FXR is classified as a Dyna. I first noticed this on E-Bay, as they group them together making it confusing to find a FXR? I've since noticed that others make the same reference.

I've owned both Dyna's & FXR's, and they are not the same bike!!!!! Other than sharing a narrow glide front end, I don't think they even compare. FXR's have a completely different frame, Primary size & various very different parts. Not to mention the FXR is superior to the Dyna in handling, weight & quickness. If anyone has looked at or ridden both, I think they'll agree.

A mild FXR will outrun and outhandle any Dyna. Don't get me wrong, I think the Dyna is a great bike, but there is NO comparison!!!!!!!!!!

I like 'em both but come on................................................ .!
I have not seen anything, in forum's or anywhere else, where it's "classified as a Dyna." The FXR is usually grouped in with the Dyna for convenience only. Check this forum and you'll see that it's a sub forum of the Dyna thread. With that said, it's still the bike that evolved the Dyna. Below is a pic of mine, however, I can tell you, it's no match for my 05 Dyna. The only place it excells is in vibration, it is noticeably smoother do to the absorption quality's of the original and complicated engine mounting system. I will agree, at the time it was built, it was the best, but not now.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4112/0CCDD8754CCB461F860E998795A9B60D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-04-2006, 07:33 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts

The dyna evolved from the FXR and the FXR was a much better frame than the dynas in that it was more rigis because of the gusseting in the side areas. That's why they became extinct except for the cvo FXR's in the late 90's. I believe the reason for discontinuing them was because of the cost to manufacture the frame mostly. The FXR hinges the rear swing arm off the frame where the dyna hinges it off the rear of the transmission causing some wallow in certain types of turns due to the flexibility of the rubber mounts. The FXR was probably the best bike that was built by the moco.

Old 02-04-2006, 08:13 PM
lakebum
Advanced

Snarly, Thanks for the reply. Maybe I used the wrong word "classified" and should have said " grouped" or "categorized". Still makes no sense to me to group them together, as they are so different. I have seen this reference on a few different occasions & still don't understand.

A FXR is a FXR & is in no way related to the Dyna, although you are right about it being the predecessor to the Dyna. Too bad MOCO made the change to a much heavier machine that is in my opinion, not near the bike that the FXR was. That's just my opinion after having both.

My current FXR is a modified '91 FXRP (police). Its still an 80 incher with stock gearing, only stage 1 mods, and it will outrun & outhandle most all Dyna's Evo or Twin Cam. This FXR does 2'nd gear wheelies on a regular basis with ease. I had a FXDWG with a HOT 88"er that could not even compare. I then made it a Stage 3 95" that put out 110HP/115# Torque. My FXR couldn't beat that one, but I can beat most others. My partner has a FXD with a great running Stage 1 95"er and he can't beat me although we're close. Im in the process of going to Stage IV and in a couple of weeks, it won't even be a race.

Enough of the comparison, as my main question was about the categorizing the FXR with a Dyna.

P.S. The Dyna is still my 1st choice in NEW H-D's since the FXR is no longer available. I've also owned Softails and they're terrible in the ride/handling dept., not to mention the heavy weight.

Old 02-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Johnny
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: TCSTD

I believe the reason for discontinuing them was because of the cost to manufacture the frame mostly.
Couldn't be anymore expensive that the VROD frame.

Old 02-05-2006, 03:01 PM
Y2K
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,172 Likes on 1,330 Posts

ORIGINAL: Johnny

ORIGINAL: TCSTD

I believe the reason for discontinuing them was because of the cost to manufacture the frame mostly.
Couldn't be anymore expensive that the VROD frame.

The V-rod is hydroformed and is new tech that was not is use with the FXR.
IMO what finally killed off the FXR's is the TC engine design that does not fit in an FXR chassis.
The very last of the Evos went into limited edition FXRs in 2000 making the FXR4 the only Evo big twin bike that year and the last Evo Big Twin as well.

Old 02-05-2006, 05:20 PM
dc1450
Road Master

Y2K,

The reason for the demise or the FXR wasn't the tiwn cam, is was manufacturing cost. Dynas came about during the Evo era and were procuced for about 7 years (91-98) before the twin cam. The FXRs last production year was 1994 with only the FXLR model. Any others after that were CVO bikes.

DC.

Old 02-06-2006, 01:21 PM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

i'm sorry guys i have had both and i will take the new dyna's over the fxr any day .its no differnt than the guys about panheads and knuckels or even the 45's every body got there choice . but i do respect that you all have your reason's and i have mind.

Old 02-06-2006, 07:00 PM
dc1450
Road Master

Sporty,

Well yea, you would...but you don't just have a Dyna, you have a Dyna with a Twin Cam, imagine how great that driveline would be in an FXR frame!
The last Dyna I had was an Evo FXDS and after about 5k miles the engine would bang into the frame if I would hit a bump with a passenger/load. Apearently the mounts would soften up after 5000 miles and allow it. The bike just didn't do it for me anymore.
Now, with a Twinki motor and 6 speed ,(even though they are all recalled) They are great bikes but, that still doesn't change the fact that the FXR chassis is stiffer and handles better.

DC.
ORIGINAL: sporty2003

i'm sorry guys i have had both and i will take the new dyna's over the fxr any day .its no differnt than the guys about panheads and knuckels or even the 45's every body got there choice . but i do respect that you all have your reason's and i have mind.

Quick Reply: FXR vs. DYNA