General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF Safety Course help.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 10:25 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: MSF Safety Course help.....

I hope you don't take any advice from anyone who thinks any safety course is useless.....

That said, in six years of teaching over 100 classes, I can honestly tell you that I never had any student say they didn't learn something, or have a bad habit corrected by proper instruction. I have, however, often read comments like those posted here by those who said courses were useless or they didn't learn anything.

Some of the "worst" students were those with lots of experience, but bad habits. They had to unlearn the bad habits first, before created new habits the correct way. Don't be surprised if your son rides circles around you by the end of the class.

Instructors often have lots of fun putting those who think they know it all at the head of the line when conducting a new excercise. It helps entertain the rest of the class

The excercises that experienced riders found most useful were usually proper emergency braking on a curve, to prevent low-siding or high siding, and the emergency swerve techniques.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:50 PM
higlet
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it with your son, he's 19 and wants to spend time with you.

also you should now qualify for the insurance discount.

A little side note. If you join the honda rider club (i know I know you ride a harley, some of us have dirt bikes) for like $30, they give you a coupon for a $75 rebate of the cost of the course.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:58 PM
kingk9
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MNPGRider

I hope you don't take any advice from anyone who thinks any safety course is useless.....

That said, in six years of teaching over 100 classes, I can honestly tell you that I never had any student say they didn't learn something, or have a bad habit corrected by proper instruction. I have, however, often read comments like those posted here by those who said courses were useless or they didn't learn anything.

Some of the "worst" students were those with lots of experience, but bad habits. They had to unlearn the bad habits first, before created new habits the correct way. Don't be surprised if your son rides circles around you by the end of the class.

Instructors often have lots of fun putting those who think they know it all at the head of the line when conducting a new excercise. It helps entertain the rest of the class

The excercises that experienced riders found most useful were usually proper emergency braking on a curve, to prevent low-siding or high siding, and the emergency swerve techniques.
I don't give advice, you're doing that. I am giving an opinion. There is a difference. This place is now full of people that will tell you how to do everything, that are so sure they have the answer, that they will cross the barrier of simple opinion, and actually tell another adult what they should do as if they have been annoited from God himself to have the final say, and the ultimate truth about things. Ya gotta love the internet. My opinion is that this MSF bullshit is just that. At best it is a waste of time and money, at worst, it gives people a false sense of accomplishment and competence that only time on the bike can give. Before there was the course, there was just people leaning how to ride by being careful and gaining experience as they rode. It's sort of like life coaches and mothering classes, a sad product of our times and further proof that people are apparently not willing to go through life without someone to teach them how.That is just my opinion.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:03 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I watched my wife take both the beginning and next the intermediate courses last summer. She'd never ridden before. The worst students were middle aged experienced riders who had moved here from another state and needed to pass to get a motorcycle endorsement.

My wife had no habits at all and aced the courses kicking azz on the experienced men. It's great training that could save lives, no kidding.

PS My wife took the intermediate on the Deuce while those men were on 250cc school bikes trying to just pass. Hilarious, lmao.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:07 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks, JB, I'm sure most people will be able to see the differences between the two "opinions," and which one makes more sense.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:14 PM
kingk9
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, JB, I'm sure most people will be able to see the differences between the two "opinions," and which one makes more sense.
Well your's does, cause you got all the answers. Right? Preach it dude. Get em to see the light!

Old 05-24-2008, 04:57 AM
DMas
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just my OPINION but I'd take the course with your son. You won't have many more oppotunities to share stuff like this with him. I had to take the course here in Michigan and even though I had ridden before I was married I hadn't been on a bike for over 20 years. I can't speak for anyone but myself and I can say it helped and I think a lot more about how I ride. When I was a kid I didn't give a **** but the MSF course did teach me to be a better rider.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:04 AM
flsun1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great opportunity you've been given. TAKE IT. It will definitely be time well spent with your son and you'll be surprised what you will learn (and just not about riding).

Old 05-24-2008, 05:21 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 455 Likes on 245 Posts

you say you're an "experienced" rider.... but you didn't say how/if you were trained....
I'm an old fart.... back in the seventies, we opend a beer, pointed out the various controls, and said start kicking it.....That was "training" back in my day

Like MOST riders I survived, and I thought I was pretty savvy... well I WASN'T... I took the MSF class, and learned a lot about bike control... sure, the "duck walk" was useless, but even that gave you a "feel" forthe different bike. Don't be offended when I tell you this.... but the only way you can take the BRC and NOT learn something, is if you think you know it all already..... The people who like to show off their scars and say crap like "everything I need to know, I learned from my wrecks".... well thay usually don't know squat...and are dangerous

Take the Beginner's course.... keep an open mind...remember you're there to learn, they can't revoke your license should you fail (which you won't) you WILL have fun.... and it'll be a good father - son bonding

Next year... you both can take the advanced class together

Old 05-24-2008, 05:55 AM
edeluxe07
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the answer is simple...take the beginner MSF course with your son...you can always go back and do the ERC by yourself....ya still may learn some things in the BRC, but it will probably mean more to your son if you do it with him. I agree with some of the other posts that in my BRC class as well, some of worst riders were the experienced riders...although I did the BRC in the pouring down rain....what a wakeup!!

Quick Reply: MSF Safety Course help.....