General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF Safety Course help.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 05:55 PM
TXFXSTB
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MSF Safety Course help.....

I took the course through Training Wheels in College Station, TX. I'm glad I did. Sure, there were things that I learned that I probably would have learned through years of riding, but I think it is pretty stupid to risk "learing by trial and error" over a period of years, than to "learn in a controlled environment" on a weekend. We had one old guy who cracked his elbow during the course. I'm glad he learned his mistake under 20mph. There is a reason we don't do things like we used to...it's called progress. It's the same thing that put your computer at your fingertips so you can have a forum like this to learn from others. Take the course with your son, share what you know with the new riders in the class, and pick up a few things while you are there. It will make the price worth it for everybody.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:13 PM
satansoft
Cruiser

Im a little jaded with MSF and other riders courses that i've seen.

They are actually good, for both a new rider, and someone who rides. Theres usefull info in the course, but the riding time irks me. Most ive seen use 125cc's and 250cc's to train you, a 650 street and trail for the test, and bam, go ride your new Bigbore HD and have fun.

Totally different experience.

And I would reccomend a weekend long track school (many provide bikes) over a riding course anyday. You will learn 100x more about throttle control, breaking, and turning than you ever will on your own.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:45 PM
kingk9
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"THE COURSE"
[sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif]
[sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif]

Old 05-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Merlin
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it with him!

Even though you are an "experienced" rider I would still suggest you take the course.
It'll be good bonding and you'll both be safer riders. Ya' might even getinsurance discounts.

Never stop learning!

BTW - The Experienced Riders Course (for me) is a walk in the park.
I take it every year.

Here's is a thought...
Purchase the Ride Like A Pro dvd and practice ALL the exercises with him.
http://www.ridelikeapro.com

They don't teach "rear brake" for slow manuvers in the BRC.
The RLAP dvd does and this iswhat motor officers use.

Be a better, safer rider!

Old 05-24-2008, 09:13 PM
smokey422
Advanced

I taught rider education courses here in MO for 10 years. In every course I told all the students if they didn't feel like they learned anything at the end of the course, I would personally pay them back out of my ownpocket. Guess what, I never gave one single refund. Take the course with your son, it will be a great experience for both ofyou.

Smokey

Old 05-24-2008, 11:24 PM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MNPGRider

ORIGINAL: BadBoyFLSTC
Sorry if I offended the guy who makes money off of "teaching" people to ride motorcycles, but if I wasn't clear I indicated that you should take the course with you son. It will be a waste of money, but time with your son doing something is worth it. My opinion is not only based on my own experience. I took the basic and had to take the ERC, learning nothing. I also base that opinion on what the course did for my wife, who had never ridden before, yet passed the course with flying colors. The problem is, is she came away from learning to ride a 250 Honda thinking she knew all there was to know about riding a 650 lb Dyna. She dropped it 10 times that first day before almost giving up on riding. I spent the next couple of months teaching her to ride in the DMV parking lot. Based on my experience, the basic course is not only useless, it's potentially dangerous.
No offense taken, Badboy, and none intended, but let's look at that last post of yours.

Yes, instructers (now called "Rider Coaches,") are paid. They give up most weekends during riding season to help others learn to ride safety, conducting courses in sleet, rain, wind, hot weather, cold weather, etc,and often take vacation days from their "real jobs" todo this.

Why did you "have to" take the ERC ? The only adult "have to's" in any class I had were court ordered to be there...

If your wife came away from the BASIC course thinking she could immediately ride a bike five times bigger, with all due respect to your wife, the problem isn't with the course. The course stressed the BASICS, students never go faster than 20 mph, don't ride in a gear higher than 2nd, and are never on the street. One of the first things mentioned in the curriculem is that the course is no substitute for experience, and that much practice is needed after the course, and that learning never stops. One of the last things pointed out in the course is that message again--it is up to the rider to take what they've learned, and apply it properly. Their course registration information contains the following:

Get trained and licensed

Wear protective gear -- all the gear, all the time -- including a helmet manufactured to the standards set by the DOT

Ride unimpaired by alcohol or other drugs

Ride within your own skill limits

Be a lifelong learner by taking refresher rider courses

A final question I would ask, again no offense intended, ever, when safety is concerned, but what were you thinking as a husband,letting a totally inexperienced rider start out on a 650 lb, 65 hp motorcycle, dropping it ten times on the first day?

I continue to find it incredulous that someone could take a total of 25-30 hours of proven instruction and state they learned nothing.

Incidently, just so you know where I'm coming from, we had dual fatalities in the local ABATE group when a rider was attempting to show an inexperienced lady how to drive his Sportster, by sitting behind her. Thebike got away from her when she dropped the clutch and the torque pulled her back, causing her to roll on the throttle, jumping a curve and hitting a tree.

One of the "BASIC" things taught in MSF is how to prevent that very thing from happening by making sure the students have their throttle hands in a "wrist down" position.

To answer you question, I "had" to take the course because the US Navy required all Navy and Marine Corps personnel who rode a motorcycle take it because we had to many young servicemen killing themselves on bikes. Funny part about it was (or not so funny) that the MSF course is a requirement for all service members to ride on base. In other words, people were dying who had the course, so they mad

Old 05-24-2008, 11:52 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

My wife took the beginning course on the school's 250, then went back and took the intermediate on our Deuce. They agreed to teach her to ride the Deuce. She passed.

She's never dropped a bike, not even in training.

I had the total luxury of just hanging out and watching - a nice way to do it.

I agree that she still needed practice, but she had a solid foundation and I've never seen her in trouble on her Wide Glide. She just keeps getting better.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:21 AM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned

ORIGINAL: JBaker421

My wife took the beginning course on the school's 250, then went back and took the intermediate on our Deuce. They agreed to teach her to ride the Deuce. She passed.

She's never dropped a bike, not even in training.

I had the total luxury of just hanging out and watching - a nice way to do it.

I agree that she still needed practice, but she had a solid foundation and I've never seen her in trouble on her Wide Glide. She just keeps getting better.
Cool JB. Maybe if they made the course more comprehensive, and combined them to include training on an actual motorcycle like that, I would maybe become a fan.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:42 AM
RattleTrap
Advanced

I can only hope that when my son is a teenager he would want to spend an entire weekend with me. Absolutly take the beginner course with him! Perhaps next year the two of you can take the advanced course together as well.

A few years ago I took the beginner course with my wife and she learned the basics to get her up and going safely even though she had never ridden before at all, and it was by no means useless to me, I picked up some good info and tips as well.