General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need to vent !!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 11:24 AM
scg1953
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need to vent !!!!!!

Saturday my Wife and I went for a ride with 2 of my sons. Wife on back, sons on thier bikes. We were about 75 mi. from home and going through a twisty streach of desert highway when I started noticing a loose feeling. Yep FLAT BACK TIRE. Well good thing is that we got safely to the side of the road. Here's my GRIPE... I sent my boys ahead to find a Harley dealer so my Wife and I were sitting there for awhile. This is a very busy road and at least 75-100 Harleys went buy ( even a HOG Chapter, I could tell by the patches). The most I even got was was wave and nobody even had the courtesy to ask if we were OK or needed help. Now don't get me wrong, I do have AAA Motorcycle coverage and a cell phone, so I really didn't need help, but how did they know that? Finally one guy comming the opposite way turned around and came back to see if he could help. Guess what he was riding? A HONDA .... What ever happened to the Harley Family? I guess the waves have are all you get anymore.
Oh Yeah!! Another guy in a Jeep finally did stop and he had a Harley shirt on and a sticker on the back window so I guess I tehcnically did get one. I have pulled over slow enough many, many times to lend assistance but have always been waved on. But at least I tried.
Sorry for the RANT but I was kind of let down.
Buy the way If you are ever in needd of a dealer in Yucca Valley, CA. look up Hutchin's HD. They got me on the road and they have a nice HD museum and an EXCELLENT diner.... GREAT FOOD.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:35 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by scg1953
Saturday my Wife and I went for a ride with 2 of my sons. Wife on back, sons on thier bikes. We were about 75 mi. from home and going through a twisty streach of desert highway when I started noticing a loose feeling. Yep FLAT BACK TIRE. Well good thing is that we got safely to the side of the road. Here's my GRIPE... I sent my boys ahead to find a Harley dealer so my Wife and I were sitting there for awhile. This is a very busy road and at least 75-100 Harleys went buy ( even a HOG Chapter, I could tell by the patches). The most I even got was was wave and nobody even had the courtesy to ask if we were OK or needed help. Now don't get me wrong, I do have AAA Motorcycle coverage and a cell phone, so I really didn't need help, but how did they know that? Finally one guy comming the opposite way turned around and came back to see if he could help. Guess what he was riding? A HONDA .... What ever happened to the Harley Family? I guess the waves have are all you get anymore.
Oh Yeah!! Another guy in a Jeep finally did stop and he had a Harley shirt on and a sticker on the back window so I guess I tehcnically did get one. I have pulled over slow enough many, many times to lend assistance but have always been waved on. But at least I tried.
Sorry for the RANT but I was kind of let down.
Buy the way If you are ever in needd of a dealer in Yucca Valley, CA. look up Hutchin's HD. They got me on the road and they have a nice HD museum and an EXCELLENT diner.... GREAT FOOD.
Things have changed, old days are gone, the new era has arrived, "21st Century Bikers", this is the norm that I hear about.

Short story, twenty years or so ago, out west, three of us in the middle of nowhere, a buddy's axle seizes. 350 miles to the nearest dealer, two of us shoot out on a mission and gone all day. When we get back with the axle, probably five cages, half a dozen scooters all parked on the side of the road, beer in the coolers, meat on the grills, takin' care of our buddy, waiting for our return. Those days are long gone in today's "new rider" world, seems no one has time anymore except for themselves. Sad .....

Old 11-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am pained by your story, I am ashamed of how the other HD riders behaved to you!

I will always stop, always ask another rider, regardless of the type of bike, 2 wheels is 2 wheels and when you are broke down at the side of the road, even if you don't need help, to have someone stop and ask means the world, lets you know that you are not alone out there.

Sorry to hear your story SCG and thanks for the dealer tip

Old 11-10-2008, 11:38 AM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 1,017 Posts

I always stop...unless they wave me on!

Old 11-10-2008, 11:39 AM
I am Jerry
Road Master

Was your helmet on the ground? They might have thought you were on a smoke break or something.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frog13
Short story, twenty years or so ago, out west, three of us in the middle of nowhere, a buddy's axle seizes. 350 miles to the nearest dealer, two of us shoot out on a mission and gone all day. When we get back with the axle, probably five cages, half a dozen scooters all parked on the side of the road, beer in the coolers, meat on the grills, takin' care of our buddy, waiting for our return. Those days are long gone in today's "new rider" world, seems no one has time anymore except for themselves. Sad .....
I want those days back, and I believe we can have them back, if we try...shame that everything is so me, me, and more me! and hurry, hurry, faster! these days

Old 11-10-2008, 11:44 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,853 Likes on 8,235 Posts

I feel ya man. But, maybe folks thought you guys stopped to take a break? I know, hellofa place to break. If you would have waved other bikers down, they would have stopped. Don't get me wrong, I'm on your side. Hey, did you buy the Honda rider a beer?

Old 11-10-2008, 11:46 AM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member

Do you carry a bandana? If so, the distress signal is to tie it to your handle bars. Hopefully someone will help you. Although there are some people who do not know the universal distress signal. We always slow down and prepare to stop when we see a biker, regardless of the brand of bike along the side of the road. We wait for them to wave us by and give us the thumbs up

Old 11-10-2008, 12:03 PM
scg1953
Tourer

Originally Posted by I am Jerry
Was your helmet on the ground? They might have thought you were on a smoke break or something.
Nope, I didn't have it on the ground or a bandana on the mirror, but around here anyway alot of people put the helmet on the ground always. I wonder how many riders really know about the bandana? I actually had a chance to explain it to my wife while we were sitting there. The guy on the Honda didn't need any signal except to see a bike on the side of the road. Too bad he won't see me praising him since he most likely won't be on this forum.
FROG.... the grille would have been nice, it was lunch time

Old 11-10-2008, 12:04 PM
PastorTom
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by frog13
Things have changed, old days are gone, the new era has arrived, "21st Century Bikers", this is the norm that I hear about......
I'll say it and probibly get flamed, But I'm used to it...

21st century "Bikers" are few and Far Between.. We are over run with 21st Century Motorcycle Riders who have bought there image off the showroom floor at the Local Dealer..And have the audacity to call themselves "Bikers" Simply because they ride a Harley.. I'll say this once again and I'm sure shall stir the Hornets nest as always...

Being a "Biker" has nothing to do with
1. What you ride.
2. How many Miles you ride
3. how you dress..

It has everything to do with attitude... and No.. "Billybadazz" isn't it..
It's about puttin a benefit together fer yer neighbor who got hurt to help feed his kids, even when ya can't stand the guy..
It's about stoppen yer scooter to change a flat tire fer that Old lady even when she locks herself in the car while yer doin it..
It's about wanting to learn how yer bike works and bein able to get dirty when it needs fixen.. Not taken it to the dealer to put air in the tires and bolt on that new chrome cover cuz ya don't own any tools..
I could write a book on this.. But Doubt it would help.. One of those ..."If I have to explain it" ....things..

And before the flamin starts.. there is not a thing wrong with bein a Motorcycle "Rider" or "Enthusiast" and I'm not sayen that and never would..

Blessings
PT

Quick Reply: I need to vent !!!!!!