General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cagers!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:27 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by badinfluence63
And that works for you. Good for you. What you have stated and in my experience has not always or even majoritively been the case. I have followed people on numerous occasions to restaurants, bars etc.. as a consequence of near misses and selfish vehicle manuevers. Just because someone approaches your vehicle is no reason to figure they or you are in for a heep o hurt. You don't make any sense. On one hand you feel it inappropriate for safety sake not to confront someone who used his vehicle as a weapon against you but yet you say the person who approaches your vehicle is in for a world of hurt. Which one is it? I think if you have the stones or where with all to approach the person do so, if you don't have the stones or where with all, don't do it. Its not always a guaranteed stand off at the OK corral. Sometimes it has been as simple as asking the person why? Why did you do that. 9 times out of 10 the person is contrite, apologetic and lesson learned. Sometimes the person is flippant and then you let them know your life is no laughing matter. In all the times I have confronted people the worst it was was a stand off, me with my ax handle with nails in it and the other person realizing a good run is better then a bad stand (life in Providence,RI).

As posted before, now that I am older its not as important any more. I live in the country, in the mountains on a dirt road and away from the throngs of humanity and the azzholes that come with it. The style of riding I do, touring (just me and my wife) also minimizes but not eliminating the bull shiet.

I feel bad for those who live and do most of their riding in big cities. If azzholes were airplanes big cities seem to be the airport.
You might want to read this?
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...WS02/806180870 Sorry, the link doesn't seem to work.

Last edited by mcrider1; 03-15-2009 at 08:29 AM. Reason: add'l info
Old 03-15-2009, 09:01 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcrider1
I was riding on the right side of the road, near the curb, like you are supposed to. Your lane is divided into 3 tracks for a m/c (remember your MSF class} and he almost brushed my shoulder by not moving out near the centerline.
If you were near the curb in the general lane that would normally be assigned to human powered bicycles then the motorcycle that passed you on the right would have but one place to pass and this would have been the sidewalk. That said, if you were out far enough in the general flow of traffic to allow the rider of the motorcycle to pass on the right then apparently he or she as the case may be may have felt it safe to pass you, the slower moving traffic. I don't agree with the move but I also feel that cyclists often put themselves in bad positions as do motorcyclists and this is why they have so many close calls as they put it.

The human brain associates speed with relative size and the problem with bicycles or motorcycles is simply that they don't really change in their relative size as they are approaching. This is expressed by those who have had people turn in front of them but not in front of the cager that was in front of them while passing through the same intersection while going the same relative approach speed. Drivers simply can not tell how fast the bike is coming in on approach.

Regardless of how long we ride, there will always be an awareness issue and pushing a bad position only increases the chances of being involved in an incident. I have literally watch riders put themselves in a bad position hundreds of times and in many cases sit there and flip people off. In one case a Nightster rider who apparently thought he was special in his left turn dang near got clipped by the right quarter panel of the cage that was making a perfectly legal left turn and moving into the curb lane of the street they were turning on to. That rider pursued the cage into the parking structure at WKU. In the meantime that rider had traffic all jacked up because of his erratic riding. The whole incident was created by the rider, not the cager. The entire incident could have been avoided if the rider had been riding with the flow of traffic as opposed to riding with the attitude he owned the whole dang road. Just because he could accelerate faster while passing on the right off a left turn he own the upcoming curb lane too right?.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:06 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
If you were near the curb in the general lane that would normally be assigned to human powered bicycles then the motorcycle that passed you on the right would have but one place to pass and this would have been the sidewalk. That said, if you were out far enough in the general flow of traffic to allow the rider of the motorcycle to pass on the right then apparently he or she as the case may be may have felt it safe to pass you, the slower moving traffic. I don't agree with the move but I also feel that cyclists often put themselves in bad positions as do motorcyclists and this is why they have so many close calls as they put it.

The human brain associates speed with relative size and the problem with bicycles or motorcycles is simply that they don't really change in their relative size as they are approaching. This is expressed by those who have had people turn in front of them but not in front of the cager that was in front of them while passing through the same intersection while going the same relative approach speed. Drivers simply can not tell how fast the bike is coming in on approach.

Regardless of how long we ride, there will always be an awareness issue and pushing a bad position only increases the chances of being involved in an incident. I have literally watch riders put themselves in a bad position hundreds of times and in many cases sit there and flip people off. In one case a Nightster rider who apparently thought he was special in his left turn dang near got clipped by the right quarter panel of the cage that was making a perfectly legal left turn and moving into the curb lane of the street they were turning on to. That rider pursued the cage into the parking structure at WKU. In the meantime that rider had traffic all jacked up because of his erratic riding. The whole incident was created by the rider, not the cager. The entire incident could have been avoided if the rider had been riding with the flow of traffic as opposed to riding with the attitude he owned the whole dang road. Just because he could accelerate faster while passing on the right off a left turn he own the upcoming curb lane too right?.
7/11, read my OP again and then read your MSF manual again. I was riding in the far right near the curb. He almost clipped my left shoulder by riding in the right tire track of the right lane. Do you understand now?

Old 03-15-2009, 09:16 AM
Boneyard Blue
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With many of us having and being the sole supporter of families, confrontation isn't worth it in today's world.

Live long, ride safe, and let karma do the work for you.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:25 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

I even had a guy on a motorcycle, just the other day, pass me in the right hand track of the lane! If he would have grazed me, we would have both gone down.
Here's your original post. If the rider of the bike passed you while riding in the right hand track "pass me in the right hand track of the lane" then you, the rider of the bicycle in this case had to be in the center or left track because the post makes no mention of where you actually were relative to the motorcycle; as the original post was written. So, going back to your MSF manual and based on your post the rider of the motorcycle had to be on the sidewalk or in the gutter as this is all that is left of the right side. Now, do you understand?

Yes, now that you have elaborated on where you actually were and stated the motorcyclist "passed you on the left" I do understand.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:45 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
Here's your original post. If the rider of the bike passed you while riding in the right hand track "pass me in the right hand track of the lane" then you, the rider of the bicycle in this case had to be in the center or left track because the post makes no mention of where you actually were relative to the motorcycle; as the original post was written. So, going back to your MSF manual and based on your post the rider of the motorcycle had to be on the sidewalk or in the gutter as this is all that is left of the right side. Now, do you understand?

Yes, now that you have elaborated on where you actually were and stated the motorcyclist "passed you on the left" I do understand.
It was poorly stated and explained in my OP. I guess I was assuming that most m/c riders would be able to visualize what the right hand track meant while on their bikes. My bad.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Road sling
Intermediate

I just hope one day we can mount paintball guns on our vehicles.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:14 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boneyard Blue
With many of us having and being the sole supporter of families, confrontation isn't worth it in today's world.

Live long, ride safe, and let karma do the work for you.
Confrontation is thought of as a harsh word but in fact can be anything from a subtle question to a full on combatative situation. And the potential of being physical is probably the first thing that one would naturally think of in a situation of this type. However and like I've stated I have approached people and simply asked them non physically confrontationally (not in the sense of agitated with potential physical confrontation but more of just really wanting to know they did that) why did they do that? Simply adressing someone is a confrontation. When you do your bills you are confronting your bills etc... Not being willing to defend your position or who you are for...... me I don't care if I got 3 wives and 14 children that will never be an excuse not to advocate for myself.

Last edited by badinfluence63; 03-15-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:02 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by badinfluence63
Confrontation is thought of as a harsh word but in fact can be anything from a subtle question to a full on combatative situation. And the potential of being physical is probably the first thing that one would naturally think of in a situation of this type. However and like I've stated I have approached people and simply asked them non physically confrontationally (not in the sense of agitated with potential physical confrontation but more of just really wanting to know they did that) why did they do that? Simply adressing someone is a confrontation. When you do your bills you are confronting your bills etc... Not being willing to defend your position or who you are for...... me I don't care if I got 3 wives and 14 children that will never be an excuse not to advocate for myself.
What's the point in even asking someone why they did it? I can tell you with 99.432582% accuracy that they will say, "I'm so sorry, I didn't see you". Have you ever had anyone say, "I was trying to run over your a**"?

P. S. Where do you carry an axe handle with nails on your bike?

Last edited by mcrider1; 03-15-2009 at 02:03 PM. Reason: add'l info
Old 03-15-2009, 03:35 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the point in even asking someone why they did it? I can tell you with 99.432582% accuracy that they will say, "I'm so sorry, I didn't see you". Have you ever had anyone say, "I was trying to run over your a**"?

P. S. Where do you carry an axe handle with nails on your bike?
My hope would be that my engaging them would cause them to be careful in the future when near other motorcycles and driving a car. The experience of actually meeting someone who calouslly and without care almost caused an accident/injury, may have a positive impact on them. And well quite frankly LEO's can't be every where.

I believe that individuals who go through life without consequence eventually become impervious to any wrong doing. Not trying to change the world. And I do not lead with my left. I figure if whom ever feels they have the right to almost cause me harm, I have the right to ask them what is up about that?

For some reason, people, grown adults who knowingly perpetrate ignorance towards me has always upset me greatly. I never saw the value of ignoring it. Some would consider me ridiculous because I have actually punched out employers for disrespect (even as I type those words recollecting those incidents brings me a warm and fuzzy). Oh I haven't always been victorious. I've taken a couple sucker punches in my time. You know..... a punch thrown to your blind side. My right ears a bit knarled and I got a lump on my fore head.

With regards to where do i carry an axe handle w/ nails on my bike is priviledged information. If I told you where the secret spot is there are LEO's here who would know the secret hiding place and where to look and others would suffer as a consequence. I'll give you a hint...its not near the tires.

Last edited by badinfluence63; 03-15-2009 at 03:41 PM.