General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 03:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Issue: What is the fastest stock Harley and how does it compare to the speed of a sport bike?

Some users feel that the V-rod is faster than a 600cc sports bike, while others think the sports bike are faster. Users will break down the differences in the engine and give their opinion of which bikes are fast and why.
Print Wikipost

Fastest bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:13 PM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by karjalahti
you seem to know may i ask how you know. something tangible. perhaps some numbers. I really cannot believe that a 600cc (sewing machine motor) could beat some big *** harley. I have seen the one guys harley bagger blowing all sorts of rice pods off the drag strip. I know it varies from rider to rider 0-60 times but what would a good riders time be.

The 600 ricer has a redline if around 13,000 RPM's, that's why.

As far as Harley goes. The VROD is the quickest HD, with the 1200 Sportster being the quickest of the traditional air cooled machines.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:17 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunno, maybe the guy riding the kaw 636 did not know how to ride it, but my stock FXDSE left him like the was chained down. Since I have had my work done I went up against a CBR 1000, he left me on the start, but not once I got the engine RPM upto speed.....

But if you want fast, you are definetly in the WRONG place!!!!

Old 03-29-2009, 06:32 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you getting the idea? Harleys can be quick, but are not anywhere near as quick as sportbikes. Harleys are designed for cruising, i.e. for a comfortable RPM range that still provides a nice enough torque curve at the expense of horsepower.

Look at the air-cooled Ducati L-twins that are designed for higher RPMs than the Harleys. The air-cooled Monsters have some grunt. But they aren't exactly cruising bikes.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Ninja 250 (which redlines at 13,000+ and weighs several hundreds of pounds less) take a stock Softail in the quarter.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:45 PM
karjalahti
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by faber
Are you getting the idea? Harleys can be quick, but are not anywhere near as quick as sportbikes. Harleys are designed for cruising, i.e. for a comfortable RPM range that still provides a nice enough torque curve at the expense of horsepower.

Look at the air-cooled Ducati L-twins that are designed for higher RPMs than the Harleys. The air-cooled Monsters have some grunt. But they aren't exactly cruising bikes.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Ninja 250 (which redlines at 13,000+ and weighs several hundreds of pounds less) take a stock Softail in the quarter.
I don't necessarily want fast I was just wondering to wonder; I like the springer I got, but it is not set up to ride as fast as possible suicide clutch and jockey shifter don't exactly scream track bike so i never race. So thank you yes the input is actually helping.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:46 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by karjalahti
Like the title says, what is the fastest STOCK Harley and how does a Harley compare to the rice burners. I am just curious maybe a few ex-rices : new HD riders could give me some insight because all I hear is well my bike is faster than any harley (Here at school) just wondering if a 600 cc can really compare to the 96CI since it is more than twice as big. or for that matter if a 600cc can compare to the 1200 sportster.
Fast what? Fast shift, fast start, fast to break? Fast to the GRAVE?

Old 03-29-2009, 06:50 PM
karjalahti
Intermediate

Originally Posted by badwhine
Fast what? Fast shift, fast start, fast to break? Fast to the GRAVE?
Accel, is what everyone has started saying, but you bring and interesting point how about top speed. i know my 88 springer goes 127 but that is just as fast as i took it how about the new 09 bikes with the 96 six speed's

Old 03-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You want fast? Tell them you'll race them from MN to CA. See how many miles they'll last. Different bike, different use.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:21 PM
jskelington
Road Captain

What's the old comeback? I'll race any 600 jap bike going with my 07 S-Glide..........20 years from now.
We'll see who wins.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:35 PM
FLdynapilot
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys really buy into this harley marketing hype..... If you want a comfy couch for cruising get a harley. But if you want to go fast get a japanese sportbike. If you compare stock to stock a sport bike will spank a Harley every time. If you build both, the sportbike will still spank a harley. The few harleys that claim to beat a sport bike were given a head start or the sportbike rider wasn't aware they were being raced. And by the way, Vrod's are still harley's.

I've owned many sportbikes over the years and if you've never ridden one you've never had the thrill of cruising at speeds well past the speed limit and cracking the throttle and being pulled back so hard you had to fight to hold on. Or whacking the throttle wide open at 40mph and left high performance cars like they were standing still. And all this from a bike off the showroom floor.

I love my Electraglide classic for being a comfy couch but if I want to go fast again I'll go back to my Suzuki Hayabusa which puts out almost 160hp stock and has a top speed of 190mph. These are actual numbers by the way not advertising hype.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Jerm21
Tourer

Well, as an example… since nobody is showing any real numbers… A v-rod muscle was quoted as running a 11.3 quarter mile time by “motorcycle-usa”, a very good and reputable website.

As you see, the v-rod muscle is not too far off of the “smaller” crotch rocket bikes (Jap, Italian, and Brit)

Triumph Daytona (675 three-banger) - 11.3 quarter mile time
Suzuki GSX-R600 (600 inline 4) – 11.11 quarter mile time
Yamaha YZF-R6 (600 inline 4) – 11.25 quarter mile time
Ducati 848 (848 L-twin) – 11.09 quarter mile time
Honda CBR600RR (600 inline 4) – 11.10 quarter mile time
Kawasaki zx-6R (600 inline 4) – 11.11quarter mile time
BUT – move up to the big boys and it gets smoked…

Suzuki Hayabusa (1340cc inline 4) – 10.378 quarter mile time
New Star V-max (1679 V-4) – 10.85 quarter mile time SLOWED by major wheel spin
Ducati 1098 (1099 L-twin) – 10.34 quarter mile time
Honda CBR1000RR (999cc inline 4) – 10.31 quarter mile time

These are all STOCK... If you're looking for fast, HD is not the one... unless you count the limited (and not even close to road legal) destroyer, which can knock off 9.3 second quarters all day and get into the 8's with a great rider.

- Jerm

Quick Reply: Fastest bike