General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding again - YEAH!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Lady_Bacon
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Riding again - YEAH!!!

I started riding on a Honda 50 step-through - some of you may remember the bike. It was a cute little red Honda, made in the mid 1960's, with a tan, plastic shroud. Didn't go very fast but it was like magic after riding bicycles. Then, I moved on and rode "other people's bikes" until I bought my own (at my big brother's suggestion) - a BMW R75. And I rode and owned several more BMW's but always eyed the Harley Davidson Sportster. Maybe it was the "bad boy" image it had back then: the "I'm free and riding" thang... Maybe it was the sweet, classic lines. Or maybe it was the sound of thunder and power! But it was a love unrequited for far too long...

I rode from about 1967 until 1984, when I was too busy with nursing school and marriage to ride - WHAT A POOR EXCUSE! Now, still a nurse and one marriage later, I have a Harley Davidson Sportster, YEAH! How that came about is this: we saw "Wild Hogs" at the theater and I "got itchy," remembering how wonderful and free I used to feel when I rode. Okay, got through that and went back to humdrum daily life. Then, Nicholas Cage did "Ghostrider" and LOVED that movie and got more "itchy." I was talking about the movie and riding, once upon a time, at work with colleagues when a provider (who happens to ride a big ol' full-dresser) told me about a movie with Anthony Hopkins, called "The World's Fastest Indian". That did it, I guess - watching him, at his age, do a bit of serious riding... Well, a couple of weeks later, during the first week of December, we (I) decided to get out of the house one morning and take a ride in the Jeep. We did - right to North Country Harley Davidson in Augusta, Maine.

I looked at all the pretty bikes and then asked to see the used bikes. Just because my Mama taught me to ALWAYS look for bargains! And there it was: a 1989 Harley Davidson XLH 883cc Sportster that looked like it had come out of a time capsule - all shiny paint and gleaming chrome and NO "down-time" marks. And, best of all, to this aging tyro, it had chain drive! Okay, okay, I know the belt drive is supposed to be smoother, less wear on components, yadda, yadda, yadda... Look it, I'm *older* and started riding back when a bike had a chain or a shaft, so deal with it! Anyway, "my" bike had had a bit done to it: the owner kept the 883cc decal but... The bike had a 1200 kit, a new carbeurator, a Kurayakin Hyperchamber, the baffles removed so it could breathe better (and have a nice exhaust tone). WHAT A SLEEPER! So, with a bemused shake of his head, my husband watched me buy the bike.

And I waited - through December and the first snow - arriving on the same day the bike was delivered. Then, January and a LOT of snow (I DO live in Maine, ya know); February and MORE SNOW; March and I'm getting cabin fever and a little bitchy; and finally, APRIL. April is typically still winter up here, but beginning to show signs of possibly defrosting a bit. And frequently, during that period between December 8th, when I bought the bike, and April 22nd when I took my Basic Riders Course (it WAS 25 years since I'd last ridden), I'd go into our woodshed and gaze longingly at my bike...

And last week, with my "new" motorcycle license, a new helmet, leathers and gloves, I got on my bike. What a gas!!! Gas? Wait a minute - why is this damn thing sputtering and THANK GOD there's nobody behind me (not for safety sake but EMBARRASSMENT). I coasted to the side of the road and off onto a dirt parking area, moved the lever back from the 12 o'clock "reserve" setting to the 6 o'clock "on" position, called myself an old fool and laughed for a few minutes, started the bike again and took off!
So how does it feel to be riding again and have my "dream bike?" AWESOME!!! And, to close, WHY am I sitting her in my nightgown on a nice day and writing instead of riding?!?!?! Well, the answer to that is; SEE YA!!! Time for the old lady to gear up and git down the road!!!

Old 05-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 347 Likes on 200 Posts

Congratulations on your Sportster, and your return to riding! You mentioned gas, how much does your tank hold? I recall some were 2.5 gallon and others were more, 3.5 or so?

Old 05-03-2009, 11:55 AM
pro2slow
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats on the sporty. now you need to talk hubby into getting one

Old 05-03-2009, 12:01 PM
maineguy
Novice

Congratulation Lady Bacon, sounds like we have more in common that just living in Maine. My story is very similar to yours. I sold my last bike a 1973 Honda 750 in 1982. Never rode again til 2007 with my brand new Electra Glide Classic. It just pisses me off that I missed it for 25 years but I'm glad I'm back.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:06 PM
piggy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

CONGRATS from Long Island NY< YA done GOOD< This is a great place to ask any questions ya may have. Your Local HOG Chapter is a nice place to meet other like minded folks. Ride safe and ,since you write so well, Tell us another story soon, on ya first long ride of the season.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:07 PM
lschultz
Road Master

It's in your blood you got it you ain't gonna get it out so just let it keep on flowing and riding. Enjoy that Sportster. I imagine it do get cold up yonder.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:12 PM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice to here, your back in the SADDLE again!

Old 05-03-2009, 01:39 PM
jbphoto
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LB... the "itch" never goes away and, as you found out, there is only one cure.

Welcome back to riding and to HDF. There are lots of great people here who are more than willing to share their knowledge... and, oh yeah, opinions, too!

Old 05-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Runnin' round and cuttin' up
You just cain't get enough
Once it gets in yer blood!

Webb Wilder
Song: Gets in Your Blood
Album: It Came from Nashville

Congrats!

Old 05-03-2009, 04:14 PM