General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A quick word about MSF - Basic Riders Course

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Basz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A quick word about MSF - Basic Riders Course

After over 20 years away from 2-wheels, I thought it would be a good idea to take the Basic Riders Course (BRC).

Both the wife & I completed it this weekend. I am so glad I took it.
The instruction was great and they keep things moving.
I picked up on techniques that I know have made my rides smoother and more importantly safer.

I seen some start the class that have never riden before and end the class doing manauvers I have seen seasoned riders struggle with.

Before the class I had a hard time getting my wife to even ride her bike around the nearby neighborhoods. The day after completing the class we rode to several nearby villages and burgs. She rode with a confidence that made me extremely proud of her. It made her ride more enjoyable. I have learned drills that I will practice so I can continue to improve my abilities.

Not that I would expect them to see this but I got to mention those involved with our training from KAMP Motorcycle Safety Program. The quality of the instructors was impressive - Phil, Mark, Norma, Rick, Steve, Kathy, Paw Paw Honda & Western Michigan University - THANK YOU!

Mark Harris

Old 05-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Bluuzplayer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A quick word about MSF - Basic Riders Course

I was a pretty comfortable rider before the course but I was amazed at how much I learned over that weekend. I would encourage anyone, regardless of skill level, to attend that course as well. You can never be to informed.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:45 AM
Old Corps
Intermediate

After a layoff of almost seven years, I got back on a Deuce last December. A couple of weekends ago my wife and I attended a local H-D Rider's Edge class. It was a very positive experience for both of us. The wife had not ridden before the class. But now, after successfully completing the class and getting her MC endorsement from the great state of North Carolina, she's in the market for her own bike! Oh, one more thing - even the old man "re-learned" stuff that I first encountered over 40 years ago. Will miracles ever cease?!?

Old 05-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wise man! Attend the Experienced Rider's Course next year and extend your learning. You ride your own bike. And Harley used to reimburse you with a 40 dollar coupon to redeem at the dealership after you send them proof of completion of either course. And don't forget to tell your insurance carrier...usually you get a discount for completing the basic course.

Paul

Old 05-10-2006, 11:15 AM
dirt_dobber
Cruiser

I totally agree! I have ridden motorcycles from age 12 to age 35 then with kids and job and other comitments etc. I quit riding!

then 10 years later at age 46 and about 1 year ago I got cancer. Now after many surgeries and radiation treatments I am "cured". So two months ago I brought my first harley.(You know the Tim McGraw song....."live like you were dyin')

It is a beauty 1999 883 Sportster. I'm loving it!!!!!!!!!!!

So to sharpen up the skills I took the course. I was very impressed. I learned a few tips and broke some old habits and learned some new things as
well. Also made a few friends. I very much recommend these classes. AND they also offer advanced motorcycle training.

Someone a long time ago once told me, "When you think you know it all and refuse to learn even more you are setting yourself up for failure".

Old 05-10-2006, 11:42 AM
rj164
Road Master

I agree with the everybody on the MSF course, I took the Experienced Rider course, by my Chapter back by Harley, last year and going to take it next year, one of the member said to take it every 2 years just to keep you sharp. that my plan,

[IMG]local://upfiles/10881/D0B5DD17C1954230BD4862B33ABB2A05.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-10-2006, 01:20 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member

I would recommend this glass because the tech you a lot about riding properly. I glad you and your wife completed the class.

Old 05-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Ronbo
Advanced

I have been riding for 35 years and I will finish my course this weekend. I think it was very will done and did learn things.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Bluerose

Kudos to you and your wife on completing the class...

Our local MSF courses are 2 half days of riding plus a class session and booked full all the time.
The instructors barely have time to stop the whole day, but they did the best they could.

When I got back on the bike after 20 years of not riding I was very glad
I completed the course just wish I had had a little more time on some of the skills.
My husband thinks I'm nuts cause still I go over to a parking lot to practice skills
I might not use daily. I also want to take a more advanced course.

There were 4 women in my class (including me) and I was the only one that passed.
2 of the women just flat out chickend out durning the course of the first day. One even said, in true california fashion, that she was going to hire a riding coach before going back to try again. The 3rd woman tried really hard but dropped the bike at the end of a quick stop during the test (think the bike was too tall for her).

So for you women out there, if your a little tentative, here is what I recommend:

1. Get the "Riding like a Pro" video (for ladies or the new IV)
Be sure to watch it carefully a few times. It will help to get
your confidence up and start you out thinking the right way.

2. If you can find a bike to practice on before your go. Practice the basics of
stopping and starting, turning both ways (don't have to be tight turns), gears, etc.
in a local parking lot. This will get you at least familiar with the movement.
As you get confident with the turns be sure you are looking through them and
turning your head.
(If the bike falls over get up and try it again!)

3. Remember to have fun!

BTW, I missed 4 out of the 21 points using this stratagy- - came in 5th behind 3 guys that had been riding for
years without a license, and one guy that was a natural. I was proud of myself.

I also have to mention that my husband was a great help getting me back on the bike and not being too critical.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:12 PM
TRITON
Road Master

I finished the basic course last week. Grew up on dirt bikes and thought I knew everything, boy was I wrong. I would highly suggest this course for any one new, or returning to riding.

Quick Reply: A quick word about MSF - Basic Riders Course