General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1940 Servi-car

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Curby
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1940 Servi-car

New guy here, first post.

I have been looking for a HD bike to be my first for a while (ever since my wife said she doesn't want to be married to me any more).

I have an old high school friend who's father had passed away recently. He was a HD restorer and his widow wants to get rid of the last project he was working on. it is a 1940 Servi-car bike. All I know at this time is that it is about 80% restored, turquois, and has a poplar box on it.

I hope to go take a look at it soon to determine what 20% is left to restore, and what parts may or may not be missing. He was a collector and a restorer, so he should have documentation on the rebuild.

What should I look for (good, bad)?

Are parts hard to find for these?

Would this be a good first bike in your opinion, or should I jsut try to trade it for a running bike?

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welkum to Da Zoo !!!

A) Where is it ???
B) How much?
C) Screw the color.
D) NO PARTS available.

J/K

My 'first HD' was a '52 Servicar. In Hawaii. Took it completely apart, and ground up. Finished it winter of '75, sold it spring of '75, to a retired Honolulu PD officer - it was HIS trike, when he worked at the PD.

SNAP UP on it.
BUT, They make a LOUSY first bike.
They have a 45" flathead (750) with a 3 speed and R. Standard gearing will reap 'bout 50-55 mph, on the 'flat', topped out.
Think - Slower than a turd, here.

IF it's ALL there, meaning original box available, and you restore it, jus' look on Cycle Trader, or Chopper Exchange, they go over 20g, sometimes.
Cheap ones, are in the 8 - 12g category.

Hopefully, these will link, for you. Give them a gander. IF I remember right, these belong to other members here. Got the Flickr from 'em.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/servicar/

Here's a sample:

Longest running production scoot, they made. Last year was '73.

Somewhere, I have pics from last spring, Panhead Roy was over here on his '42. He let's me spin it 'round, occassionally.

Parts are still available thru V-Twin, there are a couple of "45's ONLY" websites.
You can do a couple of things, to make them more 'roadworthy' (as in SPEED), but even then, you do not want to be in a hurry to get anyplace, soon.

LOVED mine. But again, I was in Hawaii (not a lot of room to roam, so to speak)

GOOD LUCK. Post back, and as always,..

Last edited by Da Gumpmeister; 02-03-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:51 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,877 Likes on 8,237 Posts

Here's one........

Attached Thumbnails 1940 Servi-car-cimg2367-large-.jpg  
Old 02-03-2010, 11:19 AM
GVDobler
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had one in the dealership here a month ago. Same turquios color. It was on consignment by the widow of owner, I think. They claimed to have about +$30k in the resto and I heard she turned down $20K. I can't imagine it worth that, but who knows.

It was not "correct" on a number of items, so the "collector" appeal would suffer, but it was very nice. They only claimed about 45-50mph cruise. It would be neat for parades and such, but not as a daily driver.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GVDobler
We had one in the dealership here a month ago. Same turquios color. It was on consignment by the widow of owner, I think. They claimed to have about +$30k in the resto and I heard she turned down $20K. I can't imagine it worth that, but who knows.

It was not "correct" on a number of items, so the "collector" appeal would suffer, but it was very nice. They only claimed about 45-50mph cruise. It would be neat for parades and such, but not as a daily driver.

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/list...I-CAR-93038670

They have 2, evidentally this is the CHEAP one. The other says, Call for Price.

1955 HARLEY-DAVIDSON SERVI-CAR, No expense spare restoration. The motor and trans were completely rebuilt & completely chromed. The motor & trans are OEM Harley and have matching vin#. The frame was powder coated. The bike has all new bearings & bushings throughout. Every single part has been repaired, replaced, or rebuilt to keep the bike as close to original as possible & to recreate the way it looked on the showroom floor in 1955, OEM parts were used when possible & reproduction when necessary. All parkerized & cadium bolts & clamps. Repro Speedo, Repro wiring harness, repro seat. This bike is perfect in every way. Even the most picky buyers will drool over this bike. This bike is on display in our showroom. $29,999.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:22 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to here about the big D. Riding an HD is some of the best therapy on the planet. As the saying goes, you never see a motorcycle parked outside of the shrinks office.

Servi-cars are very cool IMO but also IMO would not make a good primary scooter for the reasons already posted.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Chicago Bob
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Curby
...I have been looking for a HD bike to be my first for a while (ever since my wife said she doesn't want to be married to me any more)....
Sounds like a great trade in the making! Hope the door didn't hit her the a$$ when she left

Old 02-03-2010, 01:02 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Curby
...I have been looking for a HD bike to be my first for a while (ever since my wife said she doesn't want to be married to me any more)....

Yeh, condolences. Just be glad she didn't want to stay!

Old 02-03-2010, 01:24 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations on losing the wife. I don't miss mine. I also recognize that miserable look in her new husbands face. I don't know how much of a mechanic you are but old bikes need maintenance and repair. You need to be a wrench, learn how to wrench, know a wrench, or can afford to hire a wrench.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:48 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,815 Likes on 6,220 Posts

Pro: Servi-cars can haul a lot of beer.
Con: They are slow, so beer will be warm when you arrive.

Quick Reply: 1940 Servi-car