General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead engine after 50K miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 06:03 PM
richp5
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead engine after 50K miles

I can't believe it. The dealer says due to multiple internal problems I need a remanufactured engine. They have offered to show me the damage step by step as it was disassembled so I'm inclined to trust them. Bottom line is they say it either "just wore out" or it may have come off the line as a bad apple. Of the 50K miles on my 2006 Heritage probably 45K were freeway miles. Dealers have always serviced it on schedule and I never abused the bike. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Did you contact Harley and if so what was their response. Having just got a $6K tax bill the $4-5K for the engine is not pocket change. In retrospect I blame myself for not buying another metric at the time (5 year/unlimited mile warranty at no additional cost was available plus other previous problems with the bike) and I guess I'm just feeling burned - sorry for the rant.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:07 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That bites big time. It won't cost you anything to try but I would take all your maintaince records and contact Harley and also let them know whats found on the break down of damage. Good luck, report back what you find out.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:22 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

So what happened to the engine?

Old 04-02-2010, 06:51 PM
walkerinin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I feel your pain.
I bought my '96 in 2007 with 22K on it. 2 weeks after I bought it the cam thingys blew and I had to put a remanufactured engine on it. The local HD shop put it on in less than 2 weeks and total cost was about 3K. I have not had a problem with it since. It now has about 45K on it.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:55 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bksmoky
That bites big time. It won't cost you anything to try but I would take all your maintaince records and contact Harley and also let them know whats found on the break down of damage. Good luck, report back what you find out.
+1........gather all the maintenance records, and if your dealer did the work they should have this all computerized. If they feel it was a manufacturing issue, they may be able to get you a new motor at n/c........our perhaps at a reduced cost.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:00 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,023 Posts

I smell a rat somewhere. ....... I would damn sure want to see that engine inside and out.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tensioner failure? Clogged the oil lines?

Definately enough miles for that.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:24 PM
never say never
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would do the rebuild myself or have a builder do her a remanufactuered is just new parts put in the same old cases,bore her out replace bearings,cams,pistons,head work and it will cost you the same but you can use better parts then what the factory will do for you.I would not pay for another stock motor with the same shitty parts that failed the first time

Old 04-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by richp5
I can't believe it. The dealer says due to multiple internal problems I need a remanufactured engine. They have offered to show me the damage step by step as it was disassembled so I'm inclined to trust them. Bottom line is they say it either "just wore out" or it may have come off the line as a bad apple. Of the 50K miles on my 2006 Heritage probably 45K were freeway miles. Dealers have always serviced it on schedule and I never abused the bike. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Did you contact Harley and if so what was their response. Having just got a $6K tax bill the $4-5K for the engine is not pocket change. In retrospect I blame myself for not buying another metric at the time (5 year/unlimited mile warranty at no additional cost was available plus other previous problems with the bike) and I guess I'm just feeling burned - sorry for the rant.
Might want to check your local "Lemon Law". A Harley should NEVER die at 50,000....And YOU shouldn't have to pay for a new engine! Get a lawyer who specializes in Lemon Law litigation.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:34 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

There is remedy under law I believe for items that while not under warranty expire before there "normal expected life." I too would want to see inside that motor and inspect every little thing. If it was a "lemon" off the assembly line you should be looking at paying a pro-rated amount.........I think.

Quick Reply: Dead engine after 50K miles