General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bolt Rust

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 01:00 PM
cpotts454
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolt Rust

After doing some wrenching on my bike I noticed that all the allen head screws that I put on are now showing rust inside the head. Anyone else have this problem? And what is the solution.

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2010, 01:16 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Replace them with polished stainless steel.

Assuming you installed chrome bolts/screws, the hex wrenches when used on the bolts' will crack the chrome plating inside the bolt head and that will lead to rust. Your other option is to clean out the rust and coat the inside of the bolt heads with clear finger nail polish.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:35 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

Or, spray a little wd-40 into them and use a q-tip to clean the rust out and leaving some rust preventative behind. The best course of action thogh is to replace them all with stainless.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:40 PM
95custmz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also purchase various sized chrome caps for the allen heads.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:40 PM
FlatDF
Tourer

Originally Posted by cHarley
Replace them with polished stainless steel.

Assuming you installed chrome bolts/screws, the hex wrenches when used on the bolts' will crack the chrome plating inside the bolt head and that will lead to rust. Your other option is to clean out the rust and coat the inside of the bolt heads with clear finger nail polish.
+1 to this. Seems to be the way to go. With chrome hardware, friends have put a drop of clear nail polish in the bolt head to keep it from rusting.

Chris

Old 06-07-2010, 02:58 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by cpotts454
After doing some wrenching on my bike I noticed that all the allen head screws that I put on are now showing rust inside the head. Anyone else have this problem? And what is the solution.

Thanks!
It's already been mentioned but I'll repeat it cause it works great. Use Q-Tips with Naval Jelly to remove the rust in the bolt heads and when they're clean and dry, coat the inside with clear nail polish. No more rust.

For more $ you can cap all the bolts with chrome Hot Toppers. You'll lose some down the road (free replacement though) and when you wrench on your bike, you'll have to take them off and some are a PITA to take off. Mechanics at dealerships don't like them cause they waste time with them and some will charge you labor to take them off and put them back on.

For much more $ you can replace all your bolts by stainless steel ones. I'm not **** to the point of doing it so I use clear nail polish and it works well enough for me.

The following users liked this post:
Alex Jay (06-19-2018)
Old 06-08-2010, 06:40 PM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Clean the rust out with naval jelly if it's bad.
Rinse well and dry well with a blower of some sort, bike dryer, leaf blower or hair dryer.
Dap a bit of Testors (or other modeling paint) silver paint in where the rust was with a small modeling brush. Gives you the color and rust protection.