General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buyer Beware!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 12:39 PM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Buyer Beware!!

Sometime ago I posted a WTB for a 21in spoke wheel to fit my son's 05 Sportster. Last week I received a PM from a forum member saying he had a spoke wheel from a 07 FXSTB. Now I'm no Harley expert and don't pretend to be, so I asked this guy will it fit. I specifically asked if it would fit without any kind of modifications, etc. He assured me that it would, so I sent him his money via paypal and received the wheel this week. My son and I went out and measured the hub and there is no way in hell it will fit, it's about 2 inches wider than the sporty wheel.
I emailed the guy asking if he had any ideas, as of yet there is no response from him. So lesson learned, "Don't Trust Anyone" and do like I should have done in the first place, call a trusted source, parts place, etc and ask them if a particular part will fit.
Anybody want to buy a spoke wheel for an 07 Night Train?

Attached Thumbnails Buyer Beware!!-20100720_70.jpg  
Old 07-22-2010, 01:02 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

that sucks!

BUT, with everything you buy on-line - due diligence is necessary.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:33 PM
jimmie d wad
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes.you need to know whats what. seen lots of people on ebay pay more for a used part than if theyed have bought it new.on an up note if you put a wide glide front end on that sporty that rim will fit.and if you check the caliper you have might bolt up.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:36 PM
inaroush
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds Just like the scammin liars from American Classic Motors in Zieglerville, PA....

Sorry you had a bad experience.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:37 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That member should be lined up and shot. Who's head of the firing squad? Really, that is a shame someone would do that to a fellow member.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:40 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can file a complaint with paypal and get your money back very easily. you'll have to return the wheel and paypal will hold the money from the seller until you can prove delivery.

file a complaint with paypal for item significantly not as described and start the process, it can take a while but you'll get your cash back.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:08 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Umm, you bought a 21" wheel from a Night Train which has a Wide Glide front end with 41mm fork tubes. You wanted to put it on a Sportster with a Narrow Glide front end with 39mm fork tubes. There is no way it would fit without any modifications whatsoever. In fact, I'd be willing to bet you won't find any 21" wheel which will fit a Narrow Glide front end.

You said it, Buyer Beware. It's the responsibility of the buyer to know what he's buying, not the seller to know what the buyer needs.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:10 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Not trying to be an a$$ or nothing, but you should of checked to see if it would of fit, that way you knew for sure what you were buying, now the seller should of also told the truth, even if all he said was "I don't know", that would of giving you some kind of ideal. Sorry you got a bum deal, but perhaps you can recoup your losses and only be out the time it takes to get it sold. There are many parts out there that I have walked away from that probably would fit my bike, but not knowing for 100% sure, not spending my money.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:18 PM
chilly1962
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
you can file a complaint with paypal and get your money back very easily. you'll have to return the wheel and paypal will hold the money from the seller until you can prove delivery.

file a complaint with paypal for item significantly not as described and start the process, it can take a while but you'll get your cash back.
I agree. I have had to do that in the past. He should get his cash back.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:30 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Just take to a good shop and have them lace the wheel to the Sporty hub.Done deal.

Quick Reply: Buyer Beware!!