General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF or Riders Edge

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Big Lebowski
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

A beginner MSF here at a community college on the Kansas side of suburban Kansas City is $229. They just started it there in 2010 and it is very popular. Classes fill fast. They even offer a women's-only course.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:55 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've taken both MSF and MOST (not Rider's Edge exactly). MSF was taken in 1995, MOST in 2008. Both were fairly comparable. Actually, MSF really took us from the beginning; bike off manuevering and balancing - then getting pushed without the engine on, then finally turning the key. Really good as I had never riden a two wheeler or used hand controls before, and hadn't riden a bicylce in 20 years.

MOST started at a higher level compared to MSF. However, in the MOST course I took, everyone had riden at least dirt bikes before, so maybe they skipped the total newbie stuff. They still started with the "rocking" to feel the clutch and duck walking though.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:12 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wkipke
Has anyone taken both classes. Is there any benefit to the $300 Riders Edge course over the $25 MSF class. Going to sign my wife up for one or the other.
The only $25 MSF I've seen is the Experienced Riders' Course. I think they have changed things around in the last couple of years, but it she is brand new she might want to start with the basic course, on their bikes. Basic cost $150 when me and my wife took it, but Harley paid us back in cash when we bought a coupld of used HD's a couple of months later.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:15 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Quit feeding the HD money train - MSF Instructors taught Riders Edge Instructors (and Chuck Norris). MSF all the way!!!

Old 02-13-2012, 06:40 AM
Ribitt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

As a previous instructor they are the same. Only dif is HD uses the buel and other MSF use 125 or 250 cc motors. Harley had to paticion MSF to be able to offer the course due to the 250cc limet set by MSF. Due the $25. course. save money.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:45 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,341 Likes on 3,277 Posts

I think the Riders edge bikes being 500 CC gives you a better feel for a heavier bike even if it's just a Buell Blast it's way move torquier than a Rebel 250... but for the Money???? the MSF is the way to go...my wife took the MSF and rides very safely and good...we got her a Shadow 600 frst then a Volusia 800 and i do not doubt that she could safely ride a big twin no problem...My deal offers like $150 off the riders edge if you buy a bike from them...
Whichever picked they are both very good classes...

Old 02-13-2012, 07:31 AM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member

it's the same class. I took the Riders Edge because I did it spur of the moment and there were only 3 other people (all women) in the class. They were actually going to cancel until I signed up. The 4 person class allowed for A LOT of one-on-one coaching and overkill on the drills. My instructor had trouble believing I'd never even been on a MC before the class.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:35 AM
Turbinesaint
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree with the MSF, especially if you can take it for cheap. Here in PA, it's free, so I couldn't see paying $300 for something I could get for free.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:42 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 572 Likes on 216 Posts

I hav taken both and basically they are the same. I remember the MSF course had a longer wait to get in and the course ran 2 or 3 weekends. The Riders Edge was completed in one weekend. The material is the same, it's just the MSF course was shorter days.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:22 AM
MattInFla
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ribitt
As a previous instructor they are the same. Only dif is HD uses the buel and other MSF use 125 or 250 cc motors. Harley had to paticion MSF to be able to offer the course due to the 250cc limet set by MSF. Due the $25. course. save money.
And yet for some reason, students are roughly 10 times more likely to be seriously injured (or killed) in a Rider's Edge class.

It's not certain whether it is the bikes being used having more torque, or the Rider's Edge ranges themselves being more cramped, but there is clearly a reason for the vastly worse safety record in the RE program.

Matt

Quick Reply: MSF or Riders Edge