General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABATE- your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 03:10 AM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Arrow join up!

I can't believe this; a thread where everyone is in agreement. This might be a first on this Forum. ABATE, a good organization and good people.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:35 AM
docrobinson
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been an abate member for over 20 years. great organization and the only one in maryland that watches out for motorcylists

Old 03-22-2012, 05:39 AM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, agreed! good folks!

Old 03-22-2012, 06:50 AM
Raider Dana
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I joined the local chapter of ABATE in Greenville SC last month. Going on my first run with them this weekend. The Paine Memorial Run for fallen ABATE members.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by zukeeper
you've never bar hopped ??

join ABATE
Yes years ago as an idiot I did. But not since I have become smarter.
When 48% of motorcycle fatalities are due to alcohol on the motorcycle riders part I would think that ABATE would promote sober riding. Just Saying.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:31 PM
garthj
Advanced

Originally Posted by Harlie Rider
Yeah, they do a good job. Them and the AMA kept on tormenting the State
Legislature here in NC and finally got the Helmet Law tightened up to where
you have to have a DOT helmet, (ie the mushroom shaped lid),so no Beanies
unless DOT approved.
Do I sense a little sarcasm here? I thought ABATE usually fought against helmet laws. I could see the AMA saying that the helmets should be DOT. Two very different organizations both fighting for motorcyclists rights.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:39 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I met a guy a week ago (he was the attorney for the seller of a house I was buying). He saw my HD shirt ans asked what kind of Harley I had. We got to talking bikes. Turns out he is a rider and has six bikes (none are HD's). He said he would never join ABATE because he does not like their stance on helmets. He believes every rider should be required to wear a helmet - period. I told him he was an idiot. There are no helmet laws that prevent him from wearing one if he wants to wear one, but Why TF do we need a law forcing me to wear one??? His response was that his medical insurance costs are affected by my not wearing a helmet. I told him that logic like that was dangerous. That same logic could be used to outlaw motorcycles all together because after all - they really ain't safe even with a helmet. ABATE is a good organization fighting for our right to decide.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:54 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by rh8234
I met a guy a week ago (he was the attorney for the seller of a house I was buying). He saw my HD shirt ans asked what kind of Harley I had. We got to talking bikes. Turns out he is a rider and has six bikes (none are HD's). He said he would never join ABATE because he does not like their stance on helmets. He believes every rider should be required to wear a helmet - period. I told him he was an idiot. There are no helmet laws that prevent him from wearing one if he wants to wear one, but Why TF do we need a law forcing me to wear one??? His response was that his medical insurance costs are affected by my not wearing a helmet. I told him that logic like that was dangerous. That same logic could be used to outlaw motorcycles all together because after all - they really ain't safe even with a helmet. ABATE is a good organization fighting for our right to decide.
You should have asked him how attorney and legal fees affect medical and medical insurance costs.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:27 PM
FLJeff
Novice

When I was in Daytona last week I saw stickers all over the place that said: "ABATE does not speak for me". I don't know what that is about but.. seems like not everyone is a fan. Personally I've always liked their campgrounds

Old 03-23-2012, 01:22 PM
jb13
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rh8234
Thats funny as hell considering it came from a lawyer. I'm sure his proffession has nothing to do with insurance rates!

Quick Reply: ABATE- your thoughts