General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield and MPG's

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 10:42 AM
USAFANG67
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Windshield and MPG's

Pardon the duplicate post if this has been asked before. I looked and could not find info on this question.

Does a windshield improve mpg's due to better aerodynamics, decrease mpg because it offers more wind resistance or it is a wash......no change?
I do no having driven with and without one on my ride it sure reduces driver fatigue because of not having the wind pushing against you.

Many thanks!

Old 02-25-2013, 11:08 AM
fdb2007
Road Master

I had a RKC and currently have a Heritage. I run the windshield if it is windy or cool and have not noticed any appreciable difference in mileage. Hadn't really thought about it, but I think I would have noticed anything significant, since I generally get gas based on the odometer.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:12 AM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I don't think it makes much difference. The windshield itself produces drag but so does the wind hitting your body without the shield.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:15 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 315 Likes on 181 Posts

Most of the bikes I've had bikes got a little better MPG with a windshield (even a small one). Some it didn't make any noticeable difference.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:51 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,627 Posts

I can't believe that I ever rode without a windshield!

Regardless of the MPG's, I'm not giving up my windshield, my fairing, nor my lower fairings, ever. I've ate my share of bugs, been hit by gravel, rocks and birds and those days are long gone, 'least for me.

Once a year on a hot day I'll pop the windshield off of one of the bikes and go for a short, bar-hopping ride but that's about as far as it goes for me.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:33 PM
USAFANG67
Road Master

Originally Posted by fdb2007
I had a RKC and currently have a Heritage. I run the windshield if it is windy or cool and have not noticed any appreciable difference in mileage. Hadn't really thought about it, but I think I would have noticed anything significant, since I generally get gas based on the odometer.
I would think that mpg's would be better since the windshield is a smooth surface vs an irregular surface, rider on bike, but no hard numbers to prove that fact.

Originally Posted by cromagnon
I don't think it makes much difference. The windshield itself produces drag but so does the wind hitting your body without the shield.
That's why I thinks it's a wash.

Originally Posted by piasspj
Most of the bikes I've had bikes got a little better MPG with a windshield (even a small one). Some it didn't make any noticeable difference.
It's logical that it would make a difference.

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
I can't believe that I ever rode without a windshield!

Regardless of the MPG's, I'm not giving up my windshield, my fairing, nor my lower fairings, ever. I've ate my share of bugs, been hit by gravel, rocks and birds and those days are long gone, 'least for me.

Once a year on a hot day I'll pop the windshield off of one of the bikes and go for a short, bar-hopping ride but that's about as far as it goes for me.
Same here......I'd never go without one. Have see too many times where the windshield prevent a stone or bug()s get deflected away because of the windshield being there.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:10 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

I ride a Dyna with a removable windshield.

Putting the windshield on costs me about 10% more fuel.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:22 PM
USAFANG67
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jonesee

Hummmmm.......interesting.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:23 PM
ghira75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jonesee

Same experience here.
I guess it depends on size of w/shield and speed.
I had a Touring QD windshield for my Dyna (that's the big one) that I used for long trips on highway at 80- 85mph. fuel consumption was up 10 to 15%.
Top speed reduced by 15mph. Couldn't get past 105mph, which confirms the fact that the bike has more drag with the windshield. btw it was bending so much at 105mph that I though it would break!
On the other hand if you travel below 70mph I'd assume the change in mpg would be irrelevant as there isn't so much drag/wind.

**of course when I did the speed test I was in a private controlled environment....

Old 02-25-2013, 06:55 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

I have never checked mine with the windshield off, but I can sure tell a difference in the way the bike accelerates with out it. We have a lot of 25-30 mph wind where I live, and if you are running 65 or 70 into the wind it makes a big difference. But my old 99 EVO still gets around 50 mpg average with the windshield on. I rode a 100 miles one day with the windshield on and a 35 mph tail wind and got 55 mpg.