General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stiff Leather coat

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:41 AM
jntroese
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiff Leather coat

I am sure this has been asked before but thought I would try it again. Got a new leather coat and it's great just need to be broke in, any new suggestions on a quick way to break them in? The damn collar just rubs the crap outa my neck.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I use Doc Bailey's leather care. Use it on all my leathers. Old lady bought new jacket, stiff as cardboard til i treated it, now she says it's soft as butter.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Tim A
Intermediate

Docs Bailey's is excellent as mentioned.

My last jacket I didn't have any around, so I used mink oil that I also use on my boots. It softened it up real nice, as well as helped make it a little more water resistant. Only thing is you have to make sure after you rub it in the leather, you wipe the residue off good after, otherwise it gets caked in around any stitching.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:23 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I read here that someone put theirs in the dryer with some tennis shoes, cold air and tumbled it. They said it made a lot of noise from the shoes. Mine was stiff too but I just wore it anyway.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Dragon5
Tourer

Use a good brand of leather conditioner, and not too much. Beware of mink oil too. Mink oil actually breaks down the leather. I used it on my combat boots to soften them up before doing some really long walks, and though they were the most comfortable of boots I ever wore, I actually wore holes in the leather on the top of the boots. Don't ask me how, but it has never happened before or after the mink oil incident.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:08 PM
kingomtn
Road Captain

tennis *****, not tennis shoes....
also helps to condition leather first.
zip and buckle the closures and toss in your local coin-op with no heat 30 - 40 minutes should do it

Old 03-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Car Doc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Second the dryer technique.

I took a new inexpensive thick leather jacket recently and disabled the heat on my shop rags dryer and zipped it up and threw it in with a pair of tennis shoes and 3 or 4 small chucks of fire wood yes it was annoying.

Gave it 1hr at a time and when I checked it sprayed it with water threw it back in and when it looked like it was beat up and soft it was about 4 hours ymmv on that.

Last edited by Car Doc; 03-07-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:32 PM
jntroese
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Car Doc
Second the dryer technique.

I took a new inexpensive thick leather jacket recently and disabled the heat on my shop rags dryer and zipped it up and threw it in with a pair of tennis shoes and 3 or 4 small chucks of fire wood yes it was annoying.

Gave it 1hr at a time and when I checked it sprayed it with water threw it back in and when it looked like it was beat up and soft it was about 4 hours ymmv on that.
Thanks for all the help, I really like this^^^ think I'll use a laundry mat cuz otherwise the little Lady of the house may whoop my ***!!!

Old 03-07-2013, 03:04 PM
stevent
Road Master

Drag it behind a truck? maybe wear it all the time?

Old 03-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Car Doc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jntroese
Thanks for all the help, I really like this^^^ think I'll use a laundry mat cuz otherwise the little Lady of the house may whoop my ***!!!
Welcome hope it works for ya! I even heard of guys taking some 180 sand paper and lightly hitting the elbows and seams and the normal wear areas like pockets etc its supposed to work? I wouldn't probably do it to a $500 jacket but a $150 one yeah Id do it in a heart beat.

Quick Reply: Stiff Leather coat