General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's your BAL setting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 06:46 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,623 Likes on 12,011 Posts
Default What's your BAL setting?

First - let me say that I was very pleased to buy my "Made in USA" BAL1. Made in the USA is very important to me and I'll pay more for it.

Second - this may be the best money I've spent on my bike. My 2 biggest fears when riding are A - the left hook, and B - getting hit from behind at a stop. You can't put a price on the peace of mind the BAL provides to help prevent the latter. Not that it's a guarantee. But, it is a valuable tool.

So, the question - What is your BAL setting? I set mine to intensity 2 and pattern 7 - Sig-Alert Flash.

FYI -I got mine from Kutter HD - $165 shipped (but I had to pay tax because I'm a resident).
http://www.kutterharleyonline.com/se...3496064=Search

PS - this was an upgrade from the Harley Davidson LED brake light. More money but infinitely better than that made in Taiwan pos. It was not bright and the LEDs burnt out quickly.

Last edited by nevada72; 05-11-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:13 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72

So, the question - What is your BAL setting? I set mine to intensity 2 and pattern 7 - Sig-Alert Flash.
I also elected to set mine to the same setting.

Did your gasket fit? I had to trim mine down.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:19 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,392 Likes on 2,386 Posts

Had a BAL-1 save my butt the other day. Bought a second one, more expensive than Harley's but at least it's proven.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:57 PM
duty2
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 16 Posts

As I do most of my riding in the daylight, I have mine set on high with a 4 flash then steady. At night I set it to med brightness and keep the same flash pattern. I think the same way you do about being rear ended. Love my BAL.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

High and five flashes then steady. Love my BAL!

Old 05-11-2013, 09:18 PM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

just got my BAL1 a couple weeks ago and set it for medium with two flashes. I'll have to look at more flashes like others are using. The little riding I've done I've noticed that even in daylight cars mostly back off. Maybe they are confused? $165? Damn, that's great. I paid $199.

I'm thinking of taking advantage of its extra wire and direct link it to the battery with a toggle switch to change the settings on the fly. I already spent two hours looking for the little magnet which ended up in my tourpac. If I do the hard wiring, I'll definitely do the high in day and medium at night.

Great product.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:36 PM
Greg Di
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Four flashes - steady - repeat

Old 05-12-2013, 10:46 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,623 Likes on 12,011 Posts

Originally Posted by _Gir_
I also elected to set mine to the same setting.

Did your gasket fit? I had to trim mine down.
Mine fit fine. I had to be careful to form it in to the chrome flange per the instructions. But, I know it must be something others have had issues with because in the red warning box they say - "DO NOT MODIFY THE GASKET IN ANY WAY". Maybe they changed the shape?

Old 05-12-2013, 12:07 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Mine fit fine. I had to be careful to form it in to the chrome flange per the instructions. But, I know it must be something others have had issues with because in the red warning box they say - "DO NOT MODIFY THE GASKET IN ANY WAY". Maybe they changed the shape?
I had at least an 1/8" of excess in every direction. In fact the pre-cut wire holes weren't even the same shape either. It took me 2 hrs to make a decent job of it. I'm wondering if they included the wrong gasket.

That being said if I had to do it again (which I am since my wife is getting one) I'm going to trace the lamp onto the gasket vs trimming as required to make it fit the chrome.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:53 PM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by _Gir_
I had at least an 1/8" of excess in every direction. In fact the pre-cut wire holes weren't even the same shape either. It took me 2 hrs to make a decent job of it. I'm wondering if they included the wrong gasket.

That being said if I had to do it again (which I am since my wife is getting one) I'm going to trace the lamp onto the gasket vs trimming as required to make it fit the chrome.
I thought I received the wrong gasket too. I called BAL and talked to the tech who explained it all to me. DO NOT CUT IT. It will fit perfectly even though at first seems way too big. Just press it in especially the top lip which is recessed back.
The tech also gave me a heads up on something that should be in the instructions - It is very important to make sure the holes through the fender should be sealed up with the foam that is popped out. The number one reason for BAL failure is water getting into the unit from inside the fender. Just stuff it full of the extra foam. If you can see light when shining a flashlight up behind the fender, stuff more foam into it.

Last edited by beammeup; 05-13-2013 at 10:57 PM.