General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chrome exhaust issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:35 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default chrome exhaust issue

Ok, so last night as I was walking through my shop, I noticed something on my exhaust. I have a D&D Fatcat...about 7-8 months old. Apparently, within the last couple days something has gotten against my exhaust while it was hot and left some residue. It appeared to be like a rag or cloth imprint of some kind. It was on the front pipe heat shield, and a small spot on the rear pipe heat shield. Could have been my jeans I suppose that got against it...don't know.

Anyway, so I tried removing the **** & it was next to impossible. I first used Meguiar's Scratch X, which normally removes about anything. I worked somewhat, but required a lot of elbow grease. I then decided to use an old credit card and try and scrape it off....this worked 90% with some work. I then removed the rest with the polish described above & a lot more elbow grease & finished up with my normal wax polish. The residue appears to be 99% gone in both locations.

Now the problem...after finishing final polishing, there is a quarter sized spot on the front area (which was much harder to get off than the rear) that has a goldish color to it. Not real bad, but noticeable. Rear is fine. Both areas have some very fine scratches from the polishing.

I'm assuming I likely removed some of the chromium plating in this spot from too much rubbing with the polish? This would be my guess & what is exposed in that spot is Nickel? Doubt there is anything I can do about it now. Guess I should have done more scraping and less rubbing with the polish.

Can't really tell how noticeable it will actually be in the sunlight...you can see it in my shop, but I have fluorescent lighting in there so that may make it look worse or better than it actually is.

Never rubbed through chrome before, but I'm guessing that's what I've done. Lesson learned. I'm gonna pull it out in the sunlight later today and get a better look at it. If it's noticeable I'll post some pics later.

Last edited by Sharkman73; 11-12-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:45 AM
Chicago Fan 33
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks, And yes too much polish/cleaner will remove the small layer of chrome. I also found out the hard way many years ago. On my current bike I only use Windex or the seldom wash. I call the scratches character. In your case with all that crap on it you had to try.....

Old 11-12-2013, 08:49 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,211 Likes on 941 Posts

Stock up on WD-40 and 0000 steel wool. This combo will take anything off chrome without scratching or dulling it......I wouldn't believe it until I tried it!!

Old 11-12-2013, 09:14 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Best no scratch removal option is Easy off Oven Cleaner. Place a piece of cardboard or cloth behind and under the pipe to catch overspray. You don't want the oven cleaner on the paint, but it doesn't hurt chrome at all. Spray on, let sit the same as you would for ovens or a little less if you want, then wipe right off with a micro fiber. Cold or hot formula both work. Hot works faster. Heat pipe spray on, let sit wipe off! I disagree with those who say use steel wool even the 0000 with a lubricant. It will micro scratch and dull the finish slightly IMHO!

Old 11-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

I've read both good & bad about the 0000 steel wool method, never done it myself so I don't know.

I've read mostly good about using the oven cleaner method, but have also read that if you leave it on too long it will eat the chrome too.

I decided to try the Meguair's Scratch X because it is very slightly abrasive, so it removes almost anything, and does actually remove scratches from paint so I thought it would remove the stuff without scratching. I've removed some pretty descent scratches with the stuff from all kinds of surfaces, but chrome is its own animal. The rear one wasn't as bad & came off easier, so I didn't have to use as much elbow grease & it didn't go through the chrome.

The credit card worked well....should have used that to begin with for a while before getting the polish out. I've used a new razor blade on chrome before too...leaves some small scratches is you're not careful, but will take whatever off.

Honestly, chrome is one of the easiest surfaces to take care of, BUT unlike paint or other surfaces....once you f**k it up that's it, there's no fixing it. I have a love/hate relationship with chrome.

Sometimes it makes me wish I had a blacked out bike with no chrome. But then it makes me think...if this had happened on a black exhaust, it would probably be stuck on there forever because you can't go scraping around on that at all. I wonder how you get bugs and baked on stuff off of black pipes, or if you do. I've had bugs baked on so bad I've had to scrape them off with a credit card...can't do that with black. Anyone with a black exhaust want to comment on how you keep them looking good & clean stuff off them?

Old 11-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,211 Likes on 941 Posts

I can speak from experience....The wd40+0000 steel wool works great. I tried the oven cleaner method and just about everything else...and I really have found that my method works fast and leaves no issues behind on the pipes!! But everyone has their own method. I would suggest trying them all and see what works for you

Old 11-12-2013, 12:48 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The WD40 and 0000 steel wool does work as long as you do not rub hard. Most stuff that gets on hot pipes when it cooled will flake off with every little effort. Some things don't.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

Chrome is VERY thin, any abrasive will damage it if your not very careful!
Once you scratch it, it's done.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, I rolled it out of the shop @ lunch to see what it looked like in the sunlight & it's barely noticeable. Actually, unless you're me and know it's there you would never even notice. In low light you can see it a little better, but again you would have to be looking for it. I know it's there...nobody else will probably ever notice it.

Glad it's a small spot & not a big one & glad I stopped with the polish when I did. In the sunlight, the chrome and whatever is underneath(assuming nickel) looks the same.

Lesson learned.

Oh, and I have a pretty good idea what it is now....a couple nights ago I had been out riding, and when I came back I installed a new round breather cover on my bike. When I was done with installation, I wiped it down with a microfiber rag to remove fingerprints...bike was still very hot. By the locations of the 2 places on the front and rear pipe, it would make sense that the rag came into contact with the pipes while I was piping fingerprints off the breather cover. Microfiber rags are made out of 100% polyester, so that was what was melted and baked on the pipes. Let me tell you...that **** was baked on there worse than anything I've ever seen. Polyester melts, then hardens up when it cools...not good.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, tonight I tried a couple things I've never used on chrome before.
Nevr-Dull & Blue Majic metal polish.
Both products work amazingly well & I will be using both of these products on all my chrome in the future, as well as using the Blue Majic on my polished aluminum fork lowers.

After using both on my "spot", it has all but disappeared as the nickel below the chrome is as shinny as the chrome. You can't even see the spot. Also, they removed the fine scratches that I had made.

Last year I stripped the clear coat off my fork lowers and polished them myself...they are shinny, but the Blue majic is going to make them like mirrors!

2 great products I highly recommend.