General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you use your mirrors, exclusively?

Old 02-24-2014, 07:33 AM
Tech Slap
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you use your mirrors, exclusively?

When changing lanes do you rely on ONLY your mirrors or do you also look over your shoulder...? Personally I look back...twice, never know if someone in a hurry has, in the split second between the time I look back and actually made my move chose to move up into the spot I had in mind. and...Do you use your signals and look back when moving for one side of the lane to the other side of the lane...( I have heard, never use the center of a lane as that is where oil accumulates)...Many years ago as I was on my way to work on the 90 freeway in LA I was in the right side of the left lane when a gentleman of Indian decent decides there was room for him in the same lane and used it to pass me...within inches...pucker factor 10...

Old 02-24-2014, 07:39 AM
LoneRiderFLH
Road Warrior
Received 949 Likes on 412 Posts

I check the mirror for 2 headlights, put on blinker and then look over shoulder to check blind spot- same as I do in a cage.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:46 AM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Newb here, so take this for what it's worth:

MSF basic course instructor told the class this about mirrors and lane changes: Mirrors can only tell you "No". Head check (look over shoulder) tells you "Yes". Makes sense to me, it's how I've ridden so far.

As far as middle of lane, MSF says it's generally OK, but I tend to disagree with this and typically avoid it as a general rule because of the potential for oil build up as you said, and because 4-wheelers can potentially straddle road debris. If traffic is heavy ahead of you, you may not see said debris until it emerges from under the car immediately ahead of you. And in that kind of traffic, my focus is typically not on the bumper of the car in front of me. I don't completely avoid center-of-lane riding, depending on the circumstances/traffic etc. but I tend to default to left wheel track when riding solo and there are no unusual circumstances.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:57 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I never rely on my mirrors for lane changes, I use the mirrors to see what is behind me while moving forward. When changing lanes I always look - by turning my head.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:00 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Dam neer hit a flat bed trailer behind a truck cause I didnt look over my shoulder.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:03 AM
Scratt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only have one mirror, left side of bars. I use it to see if my brother is still back there. Otherwise I turn my head.

I tend to stay in the left tire track when riding alone also.

Last edited by Scratt; 02-24-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:05 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In a car (in Britain) they teach you it's "Mirror - Signal - Manouvre".

On a bike, it's "Mirror - Signal - Lifesaver (a look over your shoulder) - Manouvre".

Lifesavers are essential. More than once I've checked the mirrors and seen nothing, looked over my shoulder and discovered an entire car or cyclist in my blind spot.

I may be misreading you post, but are you saying that you activate your turn signals when manouvering within a lane? If so - that's confusing/misleading for other road users and potentially dangerous behaivior. If you mean when moving from lane to lane (on a highway for example) then yes - I signal when moving into a new lane or overtaking, but not when coming back into my lane after completing an overtake (it's not required in the UK and the driver you just overtook shold be expecting you to merge back into traffic ahead of him).

As for riding down the centre of the lane - depends on the road surface.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:12 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Turn signals can get you killed out on the freeway here. Dont use them!

Old 02-24-2014, 08:12 AM
DJA
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use my mirrors and my head is on a swivel. I check right left behind when changing lanes, pulling into a roadway, crossing intersections, and anything else when riding.
DJ

Old 02-24-2014, 08:13 AM
Tanuki
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

Mostly just use mirrors, I constantly check my mirrors and know what is behind me at all times, I know what the last car was I just passed and I know if anything is approaching me, I am mostly scanning my mirrors for cops, ( habits I developed young ) part of being aware of your surroundings, there is occasions when I do turn my head to look though but usually I don't.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you use your mirrors, exclusively?