General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

New to site looking for some help

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 02:52 AM
Windwall
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to site looking for some help

Hello,
I have an 06 Harley Road Glide Ultra Classic. A couple of weeks ago I was driving down the road at night and hit a pretty bad pothole. Since then I have noticed that as I allow the idle to go down after pulling the clutch in that the bike runs very rough. After reading some forums I decided to change the front engine mount, this did not fix the issue. I figured out how to run codes and it says that my crank positioning sensor is bad. But as I removed the front engine mount I had to unplug the wire for the crank positioning sensor. Before I go off and spend 60 or so dollars on a new crank positioning sensor does anybody have any experience with this type of trouble and it being the crank positioning sensor?Thanks for your help in advance,Windwall

Old 09-11-2017, 07:16 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

i find it strange that the sensor went bad over that but "never say never"!
the sensor does ride close to the wheel but the wheel is pretty tough and if it did move then you issue is just beginning, i forget which model but there are some that the wheel does slip.
if you did not turn on power with the sensor unplugged, then no code would be set. now if the plug connection is iffy, then there might be codes set. soooo, for now, erase the code and see if it comes back. if you have a friend with a scope, look at the wave form, it should be a clean square wave. the frequency will float a tad but the form should be clean. next best thing is to use a buddy's sensor before you buy, then of course having to buy one but you can source other than the dealer.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:40 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

Welcome to the Forum lots of great info here enjoy. Wellington, Fl You will have a better shot of getting help at a different part of this forum maybe the Tech or even the touring models section. This is the new commers section keep posting someone has your answer.