General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Bike keeps dying

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 10:04 AM
Eric Stull
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike keeps dying

Let me preface this by saying I'm a first time bike owner. Only about 3,000 miles on two wheels. Also I'm deploying over seas in two days. So over the past couple of weeks I would ride out somewhere without any issue. Making a couple of stops, then somehow after a couple the bike just won't turn over. I call someone out to jump it and it'll work great for another day or two. So this has happened again. About the 6th time.

So ive heard multiple suggestions now including I could have a bad ground, a bad charger, or even as simple as a bad battery. Are there any suggestions based off experience.

Two things. This is a 2016 HD Sportster 48. It has a security system that killed the battery the very first time while I was transporting it in a truck. It's been a nightmare since.

thanks so much. Probably stupid beginner questions but I'm trying to fix it asap before I go over seas.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:13 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

The suggestions you got were valid. If you are still running the same battery that died it may have not been able to recover from that.
Charge it fully and get it load tested. Before you do anything else.
Check the connections at the battery and the ground. Battery chargers can go bad but it's unlikely.
Get the simple stuff done first. If it's something else the bike should be under warranty so get it to the dealer.