General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Loose shifter linkage !

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 08:02 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,250 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by F150HD
Not sure where to ask this! Seems many threads are about the front shifter shaft (where the toe and heel shift levers attach to).
My question is about the rear lever and shaft behind the primary.

2012 Ultra Classic. Stock.

The rear shift lever has a little play in it. I tightened the bolt as much as possible without breaking it (used long allan) it still jiggles. I bought a Grade 8 bolt hex head and tried that, same issue. Tried brand new bolt from Harley, same issue. Photos and video follow.

My questions: how do you know if the freeplay is the lever loose on the actual shaft OR the lever is tight on the shaft but the shaft itself has a tiny bit of play in it so the whole thing 'moves' when one jiggles it?

When I move the rear shift lever attached to the shaft, it has a tiny click moved back and forth. Unsure if that is the lever loose on the shaft coming out of the tranny or if the lever is tight and the movement/click is from the shaft itself moving WITH the lever.

Input welcomed.

Secondary question: Had the inner shaft lever 'oil seal' replaced (under warranty) at 23k, bike now at 50k. It does look like there's a bit of oil on this region on the cases. How do you know if this seal has failed? I'd have to believe the floor would have oil on it under the bike?

shifter lever attached to the shifter shaft. I did spray some WD 40 to clean the area a bit.
Simple, you tighten til it strips and back off 1/4 turn.... Just kidding..

Get a new grade 8 allen and a AN style washer (small washer that just fits under the allen head. I use blue loctite more as a thread lubricant than locker. Clean. Blue LT on the threads, a little molly grease on the washer and allen screw head, Here's the hard part, These arms are stiff and don't like to collapse around the shifter splines. What you need to do is use an allen socket on a 3/8 breaker bar. You tighten the bolt till it feels like it's stripping. It's not. If you keep tightening, it will get tight again. On the second tightness you need to give it a little more and stop. The issue is that the first time it feels like stripping, it's really bending the arm clamp around the splines, second time it gets tight it is actually clamping on the splines. Check by trying to slide the arm off the shaft. You see it move sideways, you are not tight enough.. Start over and go tighter. You can have front to back (ref motorcycle) slop. It's simply some slop in the shifter return spring.

The last 2 HDs I bought used both had the shift arm loose. One belonged to a HD mechanic (10K miles). The other was a rental bike that should have had regular service (14.7K miles). I was able to get them tight. Check em regular. Might take more than once before they stop coming loose.

The following 2 users liked this post by Max Headflow:
F150HD (08-13-2018), Palau (03-01-2020)
Old 08-13-2018, 11:15 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Simple, you tighten til it strips and back off 1/4 turn.... Just kidding..

Get a new grade 8 allen and a AN style washer (small washer that just fits under the allen head. I use blue loctite more as a thread lubricant than locker. Clean. Blue LT on the threads, a little molly grease on the washer and allen screw head, Here's the hard part, These arms are stiff and don't like to collapse around the shifter splines. What you need to do is use an allen socket on a 3/8 breaker bar. You tighten the bolt till it feels like it's stripping. It's not. If you keep tightening, it will get tight again. On the second tightness you need to give it a little more and stop. The issue is that the first time it feels like stripping, it's really bending the arm clamp around the splines, second time it gets tight it is actually clamping on the splines. Check by trying to slide the arm off the shaft. You see it move sideways, you are not tight enough.. Start over and go tighter. You can have front to back (ref motorcycle) slop. It's simply some slop in the shifter return spring.

The last 2 HDs I bought used both had the shift arm loose. One belonged to a HD mechanic (10K miles). The other was a rental bike that should have had regular service (14.7K miles). I was able to get them tight. Check em regular. Might take more than once before they stop coming loose.
Great info, thanks. Unsure what an 'AN style washer' is.

"You can have front to back (ref motorcycle) slop. It's simply some slop in the shifter return spring. "

That was a big question to me, thanks. As some wiggle/freeplay might not be the lever, rather the shaft.

I can slide the lever left to right on the shaft with the bolt out. Using a breaker bar isn't something I would have imagined using, am afraid of bolt breakage or stripping the threads out. I do have a new Grade 8 allan from HD (picked up last week), could not find at any hardware store.

Did try a Grade 8 hex (using socket easy to tighten)....did it super tight, the lever still wiggled front to back some but that may have been the freeplay in the shaft I asked about, using a breaker you state it will crimp the arm clamp tight around the splines. May give that a try today....

Edit to add: am wondering at what point does one know that lever needs to be replaced....

Last edited by F150HD; 08-13-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:41 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,250 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by F150HD
Great info, thanks. Unsure what an 'AN style washer' is.

"You can have front to back (ref motorcycle) slop. It's simply some slop in the shifter return spring. "

That was a big question to me, thanks. As some wiggle/freeplay might not be the lever, rather the shaft.

I can slide the lever left to right on the shaft with the bolt out. Using a breaker bar isn't something I would have imagined using, am afraid of bolt breakage or stripping the threads out. I do have a new Grade 8 allan from HD (picked up last week), could not find at any hardware store.

Did try a Grade 8 hex (using socket easy to tighten)....did it super tight, the lever still wiggled front to back some but that may have been the freeplay in the shaft I asked about, using a breaker you state it will crimp the arm clamp tight around the splines. May give that a try today....

Edit to add: am wondering at what point does one know that lever needs to be replaced....

AN stands for Army / Navy but it is simply a narrow OD waster that fit under the screw head.

Yes on the slop. it is more appropriately the mechanism inside the tranny that has a little slop that you are seeing from front to back play. You will also get some in the bushing.

The main problem with the shaft having issues id that the splined shaft and arm do not fit perfect. As a result they come loose. If you keep in it as far as keeping it tight you won't have a problem, The arm which is a little softer well bed into the spline on the shaft and stay tight. If left loose too long, the splines in the arm narrow and arm cannot bed. It will continue to come loose. Catch it early and you may only need to tighten once. If it keeps coming loose after a few trials, it will need replace. Once you get it tight it should last the life of the bike.

This is not an uncommon problem, It's also worth while to check the arm and shift levers on the primary. I've seen the same kind of problem on shift levers for many other motorcycles, not just HD.

The following users liked this post:
F150HD (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 12:01 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
AN stands for Army / Navy but it is simply a narrow OD waster that fit under the screw head.

Yes on the slop. it is more appropriately the mechanism inside the tranny that has a little slop that you are seeing from front to back play. You will also get some in the bushing.

The main problem with the shaft having issues id that the splined shaft and arm do not fit perfect. As a result they come loose. If you keep in it as far as keeping it tight you won't have a problem, The arm which is a little softer well bed into the spline on the shaft and stay tight. If left loose too long, the splines in the arm narrow and arm cannot bed. It will continue to come loose. Catch it early and you may only need to tighten once. If it keeps coming loose after a few trials, it will need replace. Once you get it tight it should last the life of the bike.

This is not an uncommon problem, It's also worth while to check the arm and shift levers on the primary. I've seen the same kind of problem on shift levers for many other motorcycles, not just HD.
Thanks, going to try the grade 8 bolt again, and see if the breaker bar makes a difference. Really don't want to pull the entire primary if I don't have too to fix it. I I ever need a belt etc, then easy time to replace as primary would come off then.

Seems ridiculous one cannot remove this lever w/out pulling the entire primary. Have seen the 'better lever' but its $$$$, at that one needs to then 'cut' this OEM one off somehow.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:08 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

worn shifter shaft bushings. Watch the 3:20 mark in the video. Also shows the Jims tool to remove/install.
-