General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 11:40 AM
2007 Night Train
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help

Hey, new to the site, first post. I have a 2007 Night Train FXSTB, which I purchased new. Anytime, I leave the bike out in the sun for more than a few minutes, it will not start. I turn the switch to ignition, lights come on but I cannot hear the fuel pump priming (tick, tick, tick,) When I lived in Ca., all I had to do was move it to the shade and let it sit for 15 or 20 minutes it would start right up. Now that I'm in Texas, and it's hot in the garage, in the afternoon it will not start. In the mornings, it's fine. I am sure it has nothing to do with the temperature of the motor, because I've ridden through the desert, stopped for fuel (in the shade) and it started right up. It has something to do with ambient temperature. I've seen some post about the starter not being properly torqued but don't understand how that would be my issues. It's been to several dealers and a few independent shops and now body can figure out what's happening, even the computer codes don't identify the issue. Has anybody else had this problem?

Old 09-09-2021, 03:07 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,394 Likes on 3,710 Posts

Here is a guy that seems to be having an similar issue but unfortunately its not fixed yet..

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...rk-issues.html

Your issue does seem a little different.

1. When the issue occurs, on ignition on, does the engine light come on and go out?

2. Were there ever any codes, do you have what they are. I believe you can get codes from the odometer.

3. This bike has a tank mounted ignition switch. You may want to try cleaning it.. They can be taken a part. You can try rotating it on and off a couple times when the issue occurs. You can also toggle the run/stop switch.

4. How well does the motor turn over. Does it crank slow?

Old 09-09-2021, 07:18 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,015 Likes on 2,005 Posts

I had a '78 Dodge van back in the day. Great van...slant 6 motor. Only problem was it would not start in the rain...not during a downpour...not during a sprinkle. Sun's out no problem ever. Went through everything...plugs...wires...distributor...those little white resistor things old dodges had...replaced that too. Could not ever find out what was wrong with it...I sold it on a nice sunny day. Sorry I wasn't much help but good luck with the bike...

The following users liked this post:
Gunny357 (09-10-2021)