General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Dyna Frame Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 02:01 PM
GrooviDrew
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dyna Frame Swap

What's going on HDF. I currently have an '02 FXDL that was in an accident last year (bent frame) and I'm looking for advice/tips on doing a frame swap. I found a FXDRS frame that matches what I currently have. I've seen other forums talking about better to part it out, but I already bought the replacement frame and I'm fully committed.

What I'm looking for is if someone knows how I could do this process with general steps. I have the owners manual and have started taking parts off the LowRider, and I'm ready to start taking off the parts that actually sit within the frame (primary, trans, engine block, and the swingarm). I want to keep as many pieces together as I can so that moving over the parts is not such a pain in the ***.

If anyone has any tips or a thread that already has some similar information, I would really appreciate it! I can post photos of what I'm currently working with as well if that helps anything.

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-03-2023, 06:02 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,259 Likes on 6,015 Posts

Can't help with your swap, but you said you have owners manual. Is it the shop manual or THE owners manual? A factory service manual, and the parts manual, will provide a great deal of info for you. The parts manual has exploded views of many of the assemblies, which may prove invaluable. Good luck on your project!

Old 08-04-2023, 11:32 AM
GrooviDrew
2nd Gear

I believe its the clymer service manual for my year bike. Its been pretty helpful so far, but as I started taking things apart I noticed it went too in depth and I wasn't smart enough to realize. For example I took apart my hand controls to remove the throttle cables and what not and but I probably could've kept a lot of things together and taken it off as one bigger piece than break it down to many little parts.

Old 08-08-2023, 10:05 PM
96hugger
Tourer
Received 193 Likes on 105 Posts

As far as swapping twin cams into twin cam bikes, it's pretty straight forward. Keeping stuff together is going to be a little hard, didn't do a frame swap but had a wide glide down to the frame tho. I would start with the suspension/wheels just from a mindset point of view. It's a lot harder to work on a bike when it doesn't even look like one.

Last edited by 96hugger; 08-08-2023 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-09-2023, 04:07 PM
GrooviDrew
2nd Gear

Gotcha, yea I'll just keep finding what I think should be next and follow the books order of "to take this off, make sure you've taken this off" . The front end will probably be what I do next then .

Old 08-09-2023, 05:21 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,047 Likes on 17,527 Posts

Originally Posted by 96hugger
As far as swapping twin cams into twin cam bikes, it's pretty straight forward. Keeping stuff together is going to be a little hard, didn't do a frame swap but had a wide glide down to the frame tho. I would start with the suspension/wheels just from a mindset point of view. It's a lot harder to work on a bike when it doesn't even look like one.

Not really, done many that started life as a pile dirty crates and a bare frame.