General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Carpal Tunnel Friendly Handle bars??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:30 PM
bblueberry15
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carpal Tunnel Friendly Handle bars??

Hey All!! I have carpal tunnel and my hands get numb even on short rides..I have Drag bars on my Softail now and was wondering if I should go for more of a Roll back style bar?? Anybody have this annoying problem?? What should I go with?? Help My numb hands!! Any suggestions??

Old 06-24-2008, 06:38 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Carpal Tunnel Friendly Handle bars??

I had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands, and still had numb hands when riding with the stock bars on the Dyna.&nbsp\\; I put on 10 inch mini apes and tilted them back just a little closer and it has helped quite a bit.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:27 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Beach bars will keep your wrists in a more natural position. Don't grip too tight.
Tom

Old 06-24-2008, 09:16 PM
bblueberry15
Intermediate

Thanks for the advise guys!! Im gonna slip the stock bars back on for now But I am concidering both options and like both syles....Actually been eyeing up a set of mini apes but am worried that the hanging on may give me the same numbness.. Thanks again!!&nbsp\\; Brian

Old 06-26-2008, 11:33 AM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the buckhorn bars put your hands and wrists in the most natural position.&nbsp\\; Mini-apes are probably the next best.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is another vote for the mini-apes
I have them on my XBones... this is the first bike that i can ride for an extended time without the dreaded hand tingle!

Old 07-01-2008, 09:26 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The big problem with any bar is proper hand grip.&nbsp\\; This is crucial to preventing CTS.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Medial and lateral movement of the wrist will not affect CTS one way or the other.&nbsp\\; So a buckhorn bar that points the hand outward (laterally) will have no effect one way or the other.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
CTS is caused by too much extension of the wrist.&nbsp\\; That causes the carpel tunnel to close up, and puts pressure on the nerves that run through it.&nbsp\\; Eventually, permanent nerve damage will result.&nbsp\\; Any bar that causes you to lean forward will cause it/make it worse because the natural tendancy is to hyperextend the wrist to place the body weight on the palms and heels, rather than on the thumb.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Here's the big trick.&nbsp\\; Tape a ruler (or paint stick)&nbsp\\;to the back of your wrist, so it extends past your knuckles.&nbsp\\; Never let your knuckles hit the stick.&nbsp\\; That's all it takes.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-02-2008, 03:44 PM
bblueberry15
Intermediate

Thanx Bob.. I just switched my bars back to the stock bars my FXT came with and they take that "leaning" out of the ride. They alow me to not put as much pressure on the hands and I can ease up on the grip.. Ive heard wearing them Bowling braces Kinda do the same thing but the stick kinda gets in the way and make it difficult gripping the levers.. I'll try a short stick in the back of my gloves and give that a try.. Hey more excuses to take a long ride!!! Gotta try em out!! TY again..Brian

Old 07-03-2008, 01:45 PM
chad peterson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the surgery on both hands aswell &amp\\; got full releif on both (thank god)!&nbsp\\; I ride with 8 inch drag bars with pull back risers, the only time my hands get a little numb is on a longer ride &amp\\; I find myself squeezing a little bit, so I just relax again &amp\\; it goes right away!

Old 07-04-2008, 08:26 PM
FEV
Cruiser

Had the surgery in one hand - for me, thicker padded grips made a huge difference!