General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Speedometer drive 99 EG

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 11:45 AM
GlidingApes
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer drive 99 EG

Hi folks I was wondering if any of you ever had this problem. I'm on my second speedometer drive on my EG in 600 miles. I bought the bike about 2 months ago and it has a fairly new front tire on it anyway did about 350 miles with it then this noise starting coming out from the front "loud squeaking" and then no more speedometer narrowed it down to the keyway that goes in the disk being broken, removed it and on closer inspection it seem to have seize inside no biggy ordered one from JP cycles. Put the new one in and 150 miles later loud squeaking noise from the front end and no more speedometer, stop look down and the drive keyway bent all out of shape and out of the drive hole. Took it apart when I got home and its completely seize cannot spin it at all.
Took the speedometer cable apart clean and lube it seems to be turning freely to me i can turn it with my finger with ease. BTW I did this before installing the second drive unit cause the new cable I had ordered did not fit the back of my speedo gauge.
Can anybody put in there 2 cents, I have another one on order and would like to see if I'm missing something or the drive I got from JP's "it's a drag specialties drive" was defective to start with.
Ps my bike has 14000 miles on it

Thanks in advance

Old 05-04-2013, 03:17 PM
GlidingApes
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Second to me just broke after a 700 miles ...

Anybody ever had this before or is this just a horror story that nobody wants to touch, anyway got a new spindle on the way with new front wheel bearings i'm at a lost so i'm just gonna replace that just to see what happen's.

Cheers. No so happy camper