Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Anyone use the CB function

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use the CB function

I have the triglide, hubby has an 06 Ultra Classic. We want to use the CB while traveling this fall to New England. Does it work well? How close do you need to be to talk? Thanks.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:19 PM
ON-3
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use mine all the time. The farthest I've been able to talk is 2mi. I've got the J & M short antennas.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:28 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhorsepilot
I have the triglide, hubby has an 06 Ultra Classic. We want to use the CB while traveling this fall to New England. Does it work well? How close do you need to be to talk? Thanks.
Joan,

I have not had an occasion to use the CB on my Tri-Glide but I see no reason why you shouldn’t get a 3-5 mile range just like in a car. The only possible problem I can foresee is that you and hubby will be close so you may have to adjust your squelch if in fact there is a squelch; I haven’t even looked at my TG CB yet (been to busy with Trunk, Heat & Brake issues).

I use my CB in my truck when on the interstate to get “Smokey” reports from the truckers and to pass the time; the CB in conjunction with my Valentine Radar Detector have saved me a ton of tickets!

Let use know how it works for you on your trip.

Stay Safe Out There!!!!

Jim

Old 07-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

I would like to suggest a different approach but it will be an slight expense.

I don't like the cord hooked up to my helmet so I purchased a set of these. You can use them with a full face, 3/4 or half helmet.

When C and I ride we can chat using these. Either on separate bikes or 2 up. We can also hook up our cell phones to them and they work great if you get a call. It doesn't use bluetooth to communicate between bikes but you can also pair up to 5 head sets or talk to 5 riders at once. We got ours on eBay for a really great deal. We can talk up to 500 feet away with very little static but the closer you are, such as riding in a group, they are crystal clear.

Just another option to look at. We really like them.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 07-24-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:14 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When I travel with other bikes that have CB we certainly use it. It works very well. I mjust returned from a trip to Maine with my son Msocko3 and we used the CB all the time.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
When I travel with other bikes that have CB we certainly use it. It works very well. I mjust returned from a trip to Maine with my son Msocko3 and we used the CB all the time.
How far away will it work?

Old 07-24-2009, 08:28 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
I would like to suggest a different approach but it will be an slight expense.

I don't like the cord hooked up to my helmet so I purchased a set of these. You can use them with a full face, 3/4 or half helmet.

When C and I ride we can chat using these. Either on separate bikes or 2 up. We can also hook up our cell phones to them and they work great if you get a call. It doesn't use bluetooth to communicate between bikes but you can also pair up to 5 head sets or talk to 5 riders at once. We got ours on eBay for a really great deal. We can talk up to 500 feet away with very little static but the closer you are, such as riding in a group, they are crystal clear.

Just another option to look at. We really like them.
Thanks Reskul!

Old 07-25-2009, 06:42 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Thanks Reskul!
I should mention that I talked with Nana about changing my name over there. LOL

Note... with the blueant system you can chat with other bikers that don't have a CB.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:20 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How far away will it work?
If the squelch is set correct I would quess 2 miles. When we travel we are generally with in sight of each other.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Harpoonman
Club Member

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
If the squelch is set correct I would quess 2 miles. When we travel we are generally with in sight of each other.
I agree, that's about it ( 2 miles)....not much farther. Personally, I would like to have a little more reach. I have both set ups... speaker/mic installed in fullface modular helmet, and HD micrphone kit mounted on left side handlebar. Mic only / is noise cancelling and works OK if you're an occasional talker.

Last edited by Harpoonman; 07-25-2009 at 04:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone use the CB function