Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

New Trke-What to do with the front end

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Guano
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Trke-What to do with the front end

Hi all, new to the forum and new to a trike. Just converted my 2004 Classic with the DFT package. The independent suspension is awesome, rides better than the 2 wheeler. Went from the 88 to the 95 Big Bore . What a power surge!! Also put the Champion reverse on to help with the bad knees. Question is : What to do with the front end? Running stock with no problems such as wobble or vibration. Put about 350 miles on it so far. Will a rake make a big difference in handling or safety? If anyone can help with pros and cons of either or any other features I missed.

Attached Thumbnails New Trke-What to do with the front end-sep-09-2009-006.jpg  
Old 09-15-2009, 09:04 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The rake will help with handling and low speed wobble some riders experience. I personally dont have the raked front end because I dont like the look of the front fender tilted upwards and with my +2 Sweeper Bars from Khrome Werks I have no problems turning my front end.

There are several threads from past posting about the raked front ends. The new Harley raked front triple tree from the 09 and newer trikes swap looks to be the cheapest if you decide to go that route

Welcome to the trike world and HD Forums

Last edited by FLTR2008TRIKE; 09-15-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:05 AM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to say that if you dont have any wobble, and you don't think it is to hard to steer. don't install the raked trees. They won't make any safer, but will make it a lot easier to turn.
Buy more chrome instead!!!!!!

Last edited by FBTRIKE; 09-15-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:33 PM
texas725
Outstanding HDF Member

I have heard pro's and con's on changing the front end. I am utilizing a Motor Trike on a Ultra frame and I left the front end stock as I do not have a problem with the steering. Guess it is a personal preference.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:45 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Welcome from the California Central Valley. Stop by and post on the New Members forum and introduce yourself. Ride and Trike safe!

Steve and Jody

Old 09-15-2009, 08:49 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If it ain't Broke

Originally Posted by texas725
I have heard pro's and con's on changing the front end. I am utilizing a Motor Trike on a Ultra frame and I left the front end stock as I do not have a problem with the steering. Guess it is a personal preference.
Don't fix it! If I had a trike that handled to my satisfaction with no wobble I don't believe I would worry about rake either. I believe Harley extended the forks some also along with adding a little rake and a steering damper. My 2010 is awsome, handles great. I feel if the trike is within limits I would not go to much trouble to fix a problem that is not there.

You need to find some curvy roads and slam it into them at different speeds not just say it is ok because it tracks good on the straight aways. I took the Tri Glide into a long series of hairpins and pushed to its limit and the limit of my abilities. Slow or on the edge the Tri handled great, I have rode metrics that I could out perform it with but not touring bikes. Harley or metrics. That Tri is a stable platform, Harley got it right on this one. Handling wise, if it were not for little heat problem I would be completely satisfied with the trike.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:17 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Guano
Hi all, new to the forum and new to a trike. Just converted my 2004 Classic with the DFT package. The independent suspension is awesome, rides better than the 2 wheeler. Went from the 88 to the 95 Big Bore . What a power surge!! Also put the Champion reverse on to help with the bad knees. Question is : What to do with the front end? Running stock with no problems such as wobble or vibration. Put about 350 miles on it so far. Will a rake make a big difference in handling or safety? If anyone can help with pros and cons of either or any other features I missed.
I too have the DFT rear and I agree. Very comfortable to say the least. I had also added the champion EZ steer trees. I did this for a couple reasons. I first off liked the look. Of having my fairing still on it and with a 21" front wheel. I had also made myself a way to alleviate that dreaded look of the fender tilting upwards. I also like that it makes it easier to steer. The stock steering would work. But I noticed how much harder it was for me to move the trike around, as in pushing and steering it in my shop. You should do as coupe55 mentioned. take it out and into some sharp turns. Do the Smokie Mountains if your by there. That it it's self will teach you if stock steering is what you want. Turns like those will work you.

RJ

Old 09-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with all the other posts. If you feel good on it, leave it alone. Mine never felt good to me for about 20,000 miles and I finally raked it with TG trees and it feels much better. Turns much better too. I think I still have a problem somewhere in my suspension, but raking the front end took enough stress off the frame that I don't notice it as bad anymore.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Guano
Stage III

Thanks for the feedback! Since I've only logged about 375miles, and things seem to be OK, I think I'll just hang in there and let the learning curve do its thing. If I do lean towards raking it, what is the best unit to do so?

Old 09-16-2009, 03:09 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Guano
Thanks for the feedback! Since I've only logged about 375miles, and things seem to be OK, I think I'll just hang in there and let the learning curve do its thing. If I do lean towards raking it, what is the best unit to do so?
I chose Champion EZ Steer. It allows you to remount your original fairing.

Quick Reply: New Trke-What to do with the front end