Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Keep blowing starter relay.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 04:32 PM
jaigilbertson
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep blowing starter relay.

Started my bike to warm up. Shut it off to back it down driveway. Went to turn it back on and nothing. No lights, no gauges, no clicks. Replaced the starter relay. Lights and gauges came on when I turned on the ignition but when I hit the start it blew the relay again.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:39 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,785 Posts

My guess is you have a short to ground somewhere from the relay to the starter solenoid. Look where the small wire is on the starter and trace it back. Guess it actually could be the starter solenoid electric magnet coil. Not sure what ohm resistance it should show. You wire is the dashed wire with the note on it see wire circuit. The relay is on that wire. Your start switch on the bars just powers the start relay on.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:52 PM
jaigilbertson
Stage II

Thanks I'll try that. Thank you for the diagram it helps.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:51 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,482 Likes on 4,605 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
My guess is you have a short to ground somewhere from the relay to the starter solenoid.
A short in that circuit would not affect the lights...

Sounds like a bad battery or a bad connection on a battery cable.

OP: Tell us the model and year of bike.

Stop buying relays, the bike is not blowing relays...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 04-30-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:14 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Good point there. I took his post at face value. I am all for making sure cables are attached and battery is charged and good. I assumed, if it was a relay burnt, it was also taking that 30amp circuit breaker out also until it cooled off.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:09 PM
DannyR2549
Stage I
Default Starting Dramatics

I have a 2007 FLHX Street Glide. For the past month or so I have been having starting issues. I originally would have a hard time getting the bike started on a cold day, I replaced the battery and that went away. Lately ive had the issue of hearing a clicking noise when attempting to press the start button. Battery power is good, radio, lights and other bs turns on, fuel pump engages and all that works but again just a click. I replaced the starter, starter relay, have checked all power wires and have confirmed I'm getting good voltage to the starter. Test the green small wire and again good voltage when the ignition turns on. Now all I get is silence. Fuel pump comes alive, radio turns on, lights come on, but when depressing the start switch?? NADA. Nothing. Just silence. Grounds all seem tight and are pretty clean. Could it be a start switch? Are they a nightmare to replace? Am I missing something?? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again in advance.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:01 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by DannyR2549
I have a 2007 FLHX Street Glide. For the past month or so I have been having starting issues. I originally would have a hard time getting the bike started on a cold day, I replaced the battery and that went away. Lately ive had the issue of hearing a clicking noise when attempting to press the start button. Battery power is good, radio, lights and other bs turns on, fuel pump engages and all that works but again just a click. I replaced the starter, starter relay, have checked all power wires and have confirmed I'm getting good voltage to the starter. Test the green small wire and again good voltage when the ignition turns on. Now all I get is silence. Fuel pump comes alive, radio turns on, lights come on, but when depressing the start switch?? NADA. Nothing. Just silence. Grounds all seem tight and are pretty clean. Could it be a start switch? Are they a nightmare to replace? Am I missing something?? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again in advance.

Welcome from Hampton Roads Virginia.
The start switch is an easy check. Remove the small lead at the start and connect it thru your DC meter to ground. Now hit the switch and see if you get 12.8 volts DC. If not, switch the two relays and if that does not do it, it's the start switch. I really doubt that switch is bad. Not a lot of load on it other than that little relay coil.
Keep in mind, a brand new battery with a loose connection or undercharged is no better than an iron boat anchor with a loose rope. Sure hope all those part you replaced were OEM Harley stuff. You doing your own work?

That comment about having power at the green wire with the ignition turns on makes no sense. That should only get power when you hit start switch.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-21-2017 at 07:10 AM.