Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Used Bike - Has it been tuned?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 12:33 PM
scts
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Used Bike - Has it been tuned?

Recently picked up a 2015 SG CVO, trying to figure out if there's a way to determine if / how the bike was previously tuned.

A bit more to the story, was commenting to a buddy that while the bike performs extremely well (esp for me coming off a 2010 Ultra), it felt like there was a bit more power when I did the test drive than when I picked it up a couple days later. I had chalked it up to the excitement and the first ride, but he made a comment something along the lines of "are you sure the dealer didn't reset the ECM back to stock before you picked it up?".

Did ask the dealer, of course they said no - but I've had a couple of experiences that have left me less than fully trusting their service dept (although not sure why they would take the time to do something like that).

So, the real question - Is there a way I can tell if / how the bike was tuned previously without going out and buying a new tuner or paying for a dyno session?

If it matters, bike has the High Output V&H pipes / headers and the SE air cleaner.

Thanks!

Old 11-09-2017, 08:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

It does matter, as it is quite likely to have a standard stage 1 map. I can't see any reason why a dealer would change that. I suspect that when you test rode it you rode it like it belonged to someone else! Now you own it you ride it like its yours. Come back in a thousand miles or so, that'll only take you a couple of days! It will probably feel quite different by then.....

Old 11-09-2017, 11:49 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

Take it to a dealer and have them hook up their scanner. It will tell you if you have the stock map or something else.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:03 PM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

If you know somebody with a Power Vision, you can hook it up to your bike and look at the ECU CalID number... Post that number here and somebody will tell you more about it, such as, is it a stock calibration, SE Stage 1 download, etc...

Old 11-09-2017, 03:13 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by scts
Recently picked up a 2015 SG CVO, trying to figure out if there's a way to determine if / how the bike was previously tuned.

A bit more to the story, was commenting to a buddy that while the bike performs extremely well (esp for me coming off a 2010 Ultra), it felt like there was a bit more power when I did the test drive than when I picked it up a couple days later. I had chalked it up to the excitement and the first ride, but he made a comment something along the lines of "are you sure the dealer didn't reset the ECM back to stock before you picked it up?".

Did ask the dealer, of course they said no - but I've had a couple of experiences that have left me less than fully trusting their service dept (although not sure why they would take the time to do something like that).

So, the real question - Is there a way I can tell if / how the bike was tuned previously without going out and buying a new tuner or paying for a dyno session?

If it matters, bike has the High Output V&H pipes / headers and the SE air cleaner.

Thanks!
This is why: https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...avidson-cd.pdf

Old 11-09-2017, 09:03 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I bought a used v rod years ago an it came with a modified exhaust an I was worried the previous owner didn't have it tuned to match so I paid the 40 bucks for the dealership to do a dyno pull to get a true afr reading...I was relieved it was right at 14.1

Old 11-10-2017, 09:25 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,744 Likes on 3,511 Posts

I see a lot of ads from owners who have traded in their modified bikes. They remove their piggyback tuners and try to sell them, new owner of their old bike drives around with the stock tune, doesn't know any different

Old 11-10-2017, 10:46 AM
scts
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys - I'll try the dealership and see what they can tell me.

grbrown - I've tried to settle my mind with that very thought... When I test rode, did a spin 2-up with the wife as well. She just rode with me the other day and without my prompt asked if something had changed, didn't feel quite as responsive - not a complaint as it was still great but different (and I hit it hard a couple of times on purpose, same as on the test ride).

Oh the time we'll spend chasing a few mythical HP... until then I'll shut up and enjoy the ride

Old 11-10-2017, 10:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

Perhaps a 117" kit will wake it up a little more? (Just kidding!)