Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

throttle grip response

Old 02-04-2019, 11:56 AM
drod
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default throttle grip response

If you were wanting to increase the throttle grip response...would you go to the (twist grip position) in the ecm and add a percentage to the table? It looks to me you wouldn't want to add any to 0 or 100 throttle position. I am thinking 1 percent at a time...and test ride. Also would it make a difference if you change the twist grip position before or after you tune the VE tables? Thank you for any help.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:08 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 622 Posts

this might prove to be an interesting thread.
i know in the auto world, they have throttle tuners that do just that without fooling with other parameters of the map. they basically provide quicker response to driver input by opening the tb quicker, all else left the same. my new honda does just that but in reverse, it only allows the car to accelerate at reduced speed and if i want to squeeze every drop of gasoline, push the eco button and it gets worst. then there is the sport mode when response is quick and od removed. now what ever mode it is in, if i floor it, that little 1.5l 200 hp comes to life.
i am sure there are diff maps for each mode because demand is diff. changing tb is one way to increase response but usually will have to tune for the increase air flow. do not play with hd fly by wire but very interested,
gravity never fails!

Old 02-04-2019, 01:31 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

What are you trying to accomplish by tuning throttle opening? My goal is to have the throttle open enough to have the highest KPA and not go far enough open to lower that KPA.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:57 AM
drod
Tourer

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
What are you trying to accomplish by tuning throttle opening? My goal is to have the throttle open enough to have the highest KPA and not go far enough open to lower that KPA.
it seems like throttle response is a little slow. It made me wonder if it was tuned that way to help with epa restrictions. If the throttle response was a little quicker it would be letting more air in sooner...requiring more fuel also. Maybe I am trying to over think it.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:47 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 565 Posts

what tuning system are you using and what is your engine set up?
m

Old 02-05-2019, 09:58 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by drod
it seems like throttle response is a little slow. It made me wonder if it was tuned that way to help with epa restrictions. If the throttle response was a little quicker it would be letting more air in sooner...requiring more fuel also. Maybe I am trying to over think it.
The amount of air entering the engine isn't only because of throttle blade opening. Based more on rpm, cams, ports, valves...... An engine can only breath so much. Opening the throttle more than needed only raises pressure and slow down velocity. That equals less cylinder fill.

Only way I know how to set them up is with a load control dyno.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:42 PM
drod
Tourer

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
The amount of air entering the engine isn't only because of throttle blade opening. Based more on rpm, cams, ports, valves...... An engine can only breath so much. Opening the throttle more than needed only raises pressure and slow down velocity. That equals less cylinder fill.

Only way I know how to set them up is with a load control dyno.
I agree with everything you said and I believe it to be right. Still if it is opening to slow it would not be getting enough air as quick as it might be able to use it. Have you ever increased the throttle grip response? Have you ever seen it to slow and need to work a little quicker by loading one on the dyno?

Old 02-06-2019, 08:45 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 565 Posts

yes i've seen it, but it's mostly on bikes that have engine work, most of the stock or stage one stuff doesn't really call for it, to me. Are you actually having an issue, or are you just curious? What is your set up?
m

Old 02-06-2019, 09:11 PM
drod
Tourer

Originally Posted by marcodarq
yes i've seen it, but it's mostly on bikes that have engine work, most of the stock or stage one stuff doesn't really call for it, to me. Are you actually having an issue, or are you just curious? What is your set up?
m
No...not having any problem. I am probably over thinking it. Mostly just curious if there is in some cases a little to gain there. I have tuned a couple bikes that seemed in neutral to rev slower than others of equal engine build using very similar timing and afr. Most all of these have been just stage one.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:24 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by drod
I agree with everything you said and I believe it to be right. Still if it is opening to slow it would not be getting enough air as quick as it might be able to use it. Have you ever increased the throttle grip response? Have you ever seen it to slow and need to work a little quicker by loading one on the dyno?
Yes I have. Going through the table. Sometimes numbers get smaller and sometimes they get bigger. Depends on the base calibration I started with and if what I am
using it on is a clone or just real close but with different exhaust or something.

If it's how responsive your engine is. This can be affected by other things as well. State of tune, too rich, lazy ignition curve, poor exhaust choice, poor cam choice........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: throttle grip response