Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Engine cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 12:10 PM
SconnieRider
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Engine cutting out

Hey all, I’d like to hear some opinions on what’s going on with my bike. ’99 Electra Glide, carbureted. Riding down the highway and my engine suddenly dies and I’m coasting to the shoulder. There wasn’t any engine shutter, backfires, or coughing. The starter was strong and turned it over, but it would not start. When I got it pulled over and was planning to call a tow until a coworker pulled over to check on me. About 10 minutes later I decided to try again, and it fired up. Started down the road and about a mile it quit again, and same thing could not get it started until about 5 minutes later. This happened 2 more times before I was able to get it home.

My thoughts went straight to either ignition system or fuel system. I convinced myself it was unlikely fuel as I didn’t experience the symptoms of fuel loss. To me it seems a component is getting hot and needs to cool down before working again. So maybe it’s the coil? I also replaced the ignition switch over the winter because it snapped off during maintenance, but I’m not sure if a faulty switch would act like this.

In the last few years related parts that have been replaced/upgraded… Twintec ignition module, stator, SE phat wires, SE plugs.

Any open discussion on what direction I should go is welcome. Thanks!

Old 04-29-2024, 02:21 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 605 Likes on 419 Posts

Replace the ignition/crank sensor.
Bob

The following users liked this post:
paulmedford (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 02:52 PM
SconnieRider
Advanced

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
Replace the ignition/crank sensor.
Bob
Just to clarify, the crankshaft position sensor?

Old 04-29-2024, 03:12 PM
paulmedford
Tourer
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SconnieRider
Hey all, I’d like to hear some opinions on what’s going on with my bike. ’99 Electra Glide, carbureted. Riding down the highway and my engine suddenly dies and I’m coasting to the shoulder. There wasn’t any engine shutter, backfires, or coughing. The starter was strong and turned it over, but it would not start. When I got it pulled over and was planning to call a tow until a coworker pulled over to check on me. About 10 minutes later I decided to try again, and it fired up. Started down the road and about a mile it quit again, and same thing could not get it started until about 5 minutes later. This happened 2 more times before I was able to get it home.

My thoughts went straight to either ignition system or fuel system. I convinced myself it was unlikely fuel as I didn’t experience the symptoms of fuel loss. To me it seems a component is getting hot and needs to cool down before working again. So maybe it’s the coil? I also replaced the ignition switch over the winter because it snapped off during maintenance, but I’m not sure if a faulty switch would act like this.

In the last few years related parts that have been replaced/upgraded… Twintec ignition module, stator, SE phat wires, SE plugs.

Any open discussion on what direction I should go is welcome. Thanks!
I had this problem with a jap bike back in the day, it was the ignition coil. Also check the fuel flow from the tank petcock, next time it happens, check for spark, that way you can know if it spark or fuel.

Old 04-29-2024, 03:58 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,522 Posts

Check the crank position sensor for crud but the main circuit breaker on older higher mileage bikes get weak over time and heat will cause a shut down; cool off and back on the road. IIRC, the MoCo upgraded the MCB from 40A to 50A in 2004 but not sure.

Old 04-29-2024, 06:02 PM
paulmedford
Tourer

Originally Posted by djl
Check the crank position sensor for crud but the main circuit breaker on older higher mileage bikes get weak over time and heat will cause a shut down; cool off and back on the road. IIRC, the MoCo upgraded the MCB from 40A to 50A in 2004 but not sure.
does the MCB affect cranking?

Old 04-29-2024, 10:52 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,522 Posts

Originally Posted by paulmedford
does the MCB affect cranking?
The MCB is there to protect the electrical system. If the breaker opens, all electrical power shuts down.

Old 04-30-2024, 03:01 AM
paulmedford
Tourer

I was thinking that, but he says it still cranks just doesn't start.

Old 04-30-2024, 09:25 AM
SconnieRider
Advanced

Originally Posted by paulmedford
I had this problem with a jap bike back in the day, it was the ignition coil. Also check the fuel flow from the tank petcock, next time it happens, check for spark, that way you can know if it spark or fuel.
My first thought was the coil so I ordered one since it had a longer delivery time. Ill for sure check the fuel flow.

Old 04-30-2024, 09:27 AM
SconnieRider
Advanced

Originally Posted by djl
CPS would be an easy one to do. I didn't think of the MCB, but would it still crank if it was the issue? Also, if it came to replacing it, is it ok to switch to a 50A if it's more readily available?

I appreciate the replies so far. I'm currently looking through the service manual and I'm going to attempt to pull a code with the check engine light to see if I can pin point an issue. Can't believe how much those Scanalyzers cost.

Last edited by SconnieRider; 04-30-2024 at 09:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Engine cutting out