Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SERT Questions

I'm lining up parts for addressingmy 2007 Ultra heat issues.
I'm thinking of simple upgrades, SE air cleaner, SE slip-on mufflers, Jegg oil-cooler and finally a SERT.

The questions I have:

Are there canned settings for the SERT if I use Screamin' Eagle parts? No dyno required?
Of these canned settings, are any of them open loop, keeping away from the closed loop 14.7:1? Or does this require being Dyno-ed? Main goal is reducing heat and than fuel economy.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:26 PM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SERT Questions

Yes the canned settings will get you pretty close to what you need.
You dont want to be keeping away from the closed loop, just max out the CLB tables accross the board which will bring the closed loop setting down to about 14.1:1 which will make the heat problem go away and still retain good mpg. I'm getting around 52 mpg (UK gallons are a bit bigger than US gallons which makes a change) with mixed riding. My 07 RK runs as cool as my PCIII'd 04 train used to.

If you have a laptop you can do data runs and record whats happening if you want to tweak it a bit more. I got mine running real good and no dyno time, just a little patience and a lot of help from folks on here.

Trust me its easy if I can do it anyone can. I dont want to repeat myself so if you look at the link you will see I eventually caught onto what was happening.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2031440/tm.htm

Paul

Old 09-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master

It sounds like by staying with the HD parts, I can get on the road with the canned sert, and as I become familiar with the program I can tweak areas. Right now it all seems Greek to me. Does anyone have a -G or -H SERT manual that you could email me?

Old 09-26-2007, 08:08 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain

Hog:

Here's what worked for me:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2252861/tm.htm

Good luck!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 09-27-2007, 08:00 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master

WVRDKING, I think you have an excellent write up on solving your heat issues. I'm heading down the same path, lining up my parts to complete the work this winter. My plan after talking with my local HD service manager, is to buy the parts from Zanotti's. I'll install them and then take the bike in for dyno tuning with the SERT, which will run anywhere from 1 to 3 hours or $80 to $240.
I think this becomes a good compromise on price and service. I can do the things I feel comfortable doing and paying for what I don't.
I am also installing the IDS, after putting a year of riding on the bike, running in higher rpm's, 6th gear hard to justify below 70mph, and reading the comments from those that have installed it. I see an advantage in doing so.

One question I have, what is the diffence between the SERT revision G or H and the J? Maybe this is a question for my service manager, but what revision do I need for my '07?

Old 09-27-2007, 09:13 AM
sprtnallover
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hog - Each version of the SERT software is an update for newer features on the bikes. For an 07 version J is the latest........but I know the 08 SERT is beginning to surface at some dealers. I have version J and it has all the canned maps from previous versions for 06 and 05. So even if you end up with the 08 version, don't know what it is, you will still be able to use it for your 07. I can email you the user manual that I have. PM me with your email addy and I'll send it your way.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Dennis Murawski
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just returned from the local Stealership and the parts guy says the new SERT software CD shows up on his computer but has not been released to the dealers yet. He says he can't order it at this time. Izzzat right? Also, I'm currently running Calibration #78, and I thought I read on the forum that HD has made changes to this calibration on the newest software.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:44 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain

Hog:

The latest version of the SERT contains Software version 4.7.6. I don't have the current software/cd part number handy, but I would assume it will be 32117-01K. So, if you already have a SERT simply buy the updated CD from a Dealer for ~$20.00.

IMO, the latest maps for the '07 Touring bikes are definitely what to start with.

Good luck!

Old 09-28-2007, 07:13 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master

When you buy the SERT, it doesn't come with the cable, in the manual is specifies a RS-232 serial port on your computer. Is the SERT cable a standard RS-232 or does it have a crossover or some special connector for the SERT end?
Question being, can you use a standard RS-232 cable?
Also has anyone used a USB to Serial adaptor because their computer didn't have a serial connection?

Old 09-28-2007, 12:04 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are two cables that come in the Sert kit. One cable is a standard rs232 cable and the other has a rs232 male end on one side and an adapter (i think bosch type) for the other end to interface with the ECM. The Belkin USB to Serial adapter is used by many. There are reports of some of the usb adapters however not working properly.

Quick Reply: SERT Questions