Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Changing baffles & SERT

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 07:49 AM
Cognizant
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing baffles & SERT

I have an 06 FXST/I with SERT& AC, V&H longshot staggard pipes. I'd like to put some quiet baffles in the pipes. If I do, will I have to have the SERT remapped and/or redynoed?
The people selling the baffles say probably not, and the local tech. say's probably yes. PROBABLY is not the answer I need.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:47 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Changing baffles & SERT

Probably yes. The quiet pipes will most likely be more restrictive and change backpressure dynamics. You may not notice a difference but you will need to try it to find out because there are so many diffferent variables in the air-exhaust flow on these engines.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:54 AM
Cognizant
Tourer

OK KB, that's probably the answer I needed. Thanks.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:11 AM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to do this correctly, then you will need to put it on the dyno before you change the baffles and then one more time after you change the baffles. Measure the AFR both times as well as hp/tq and then you will have your answer.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:35 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

If you have a copy of your current dyno map then you can use that as reference. But I would be inclined to put the baffles in and see how the bike runs first. If there were noticible changes then I would go back and tweak the map. But I would run data mode first and then compare it against the original dyno map before I spent the $$ on a new tune. The difference may be so slight that you could adjust the afr yourself.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Cognizant
Tourer

That put's it all together so even I can understand.I truely appreciateyour the input. Fact is, it's all greek to me. I'm 60 and not what you'd call computer literate. I had the SERT & AC installed when I bought the pipes cuz that's what the tech. said would be necessary. Looks like an $80 set of baffles has turned into a $300 hassle. I think I'll leave it like it is. All I have is this old windows 98 gonkalator, let alone a laptop, somy only option isto put my faith in and take the word ofwhatever technition I happen to be talking to when I go to the local dealer.