Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 02:35 AM
BigGeorge
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Needed

Ok guys, here's my delima. I just got my "06' street glide on feb. 28th and because it was blizzarding here , the dealer delivered it so it has zero miles on the odometer. I was going to wait till my 1000 mile service and at that time have the dealer install V&H pipes, SE air kit and SERT with dyno tune. Well I checked my injectors numbers and find they are the earlyer style (27625-06) and I will want those changed also. Now my question is should I do all this immediately as soon as the weather permits or should I still put the 1000 miles on it first knowing its running lean. Also if I take it in immediately is it a good idea to put it on a dyno without it being broken in first. I hate to run the engine lean but I hate to put it on the dyno too early. Your comments and suggestions are appreciated. Oh did I mention I hate the EPA too................BG

Old 03-04-2006, 05:07 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Advice Needed

Ok I PERSONALLY would see about getting the injectors replaced asap and then waiting the 1000 miles and an oil change before any dyno time. Most people will say the same, some will say 50 miles. I wouldn't take that chance, but it's up to you.

Old 03-04-2006, 05:10 AM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Injectors now and rest at the 1000 mile mark. Just MHO

Old 03-04-2006, 03:01 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

As I understand it, the problem with injectors only occurs when the engine is cold. And it doesn't affect all bikes. It's not a recall, but a TSB. Apperently, the bike runs poorly on start up and while cold, but then runs normally after warm up. If your bike has these symptoms, then get the injectors changed right away. If not, don't bother. The new injectors do not affect on road performance in any way (so they say).

You have to figure in the hassle facter, and road time lost. If the bike runs good, I would wait until 1K miles, and do it all at once.

Old 03-19-2006, 04:59 AM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

Break it in. Ride it and see if you have starting problems. They are not going to replace the injectors just because you want them to. If they do I want to know your dealers name.

The 8 degree spray pattern has been noted to cause some cold weather starting problems. If confirmed or the customer has enough service issues they are changing to the 25 degree spray pattern. The 25's don't put out more fuel than the 8's. The spray pattern is different, and gives a better mix.

As noted some machines are not having any problems. You might not even need them. By waiting and if you do have issues they can't say it is something else.

You definately want it broken in before they romp on it on the dyno.

Old 03-20-2006, 10:55 PM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member

I agree with the 1000 miles, I agree with the get the bike and ride it, you may not have an injector problem. The new 25 injectors do have a higher flow rate, saw it in one of the posts some where.

Old 03-20-2006, 11:35 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 148 Likes on 41 Posts

The 25's don't put out more fuel than the 8's.
The 05 and earlier injectors had higher flow rates than the 06 stock injectors.
06 are 3.91 grams per second flow rated.
05 and earlier are 4.35.
The 25 degree injectors are rated at 4.89 gm/s.

Or expressed in Lbs. per hour
`06 8° ---- 31.0 lb/hr
`05 ------- 34.5 lb/hr
CVO 25° -- 38.8 lb/hr

Old 03-21-2006, 05:56 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I just got my SERT today from Zanotti's (ordered 4 weeks ago) but I'm waiting till the engine is broken in probably 2000 miles to get it all done & dyno tuned. I may even wait until Winter. I mean it will be here soon enough.

Old 03-21-2006, 07:38 PM
Tex Wildman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well shucks...my first hour here and I have already learned mountains. I was trying to find a thread where it was talking about two other problems I was having and stumbled on this. I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but I was trying to figure out why my '06 FLHRI was sputtering on start-up and while cold. I just called it a cold-natured...*#$)@. This explains it, as I, too, have the 8deg injectors. I'll be getting those swapped. It has coughed and died on the "first-turns" coming outta the driveway. (THOUGHT I warmed it up enough!) With momma on the back, it was all I could do to keep from going to the ground. Guess I'm gonna hafta sweet-talk the dealership...

Old 03-22-2006, 12:47 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum Tex.. ALOT of good information and some not worthy of reading...LOL

1000 miles and the first oil change is more then enough to get the bike dyno tuned.

Quick Reply: Advice Needed