Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Stage 1 and my Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 09:49 PM
Bluuzplayer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1 and my Dealer

While I'm waiting impatiently on my new Ultra to arrive I've been building a list of things I want to do to it. I know...like crack right? Anyway, I stopped by and was talking to my dealer and asking how much a Stage 1 would cost me. He told me two things that worried me:

1. They don't use/have a Dyno. Supposedly the guy who does it is real good. (frown)
2. They only use the HD download, not SERT. Says since it says Racing they won't do it.

I like the Dealer but I'm thinking I should find someone else to do the Stage 1 if I go with the SERT. All I want to do is open the air, fuel and add some SE slip on's. Would the HD download suffice for that? I've seen mixed opinions.

Thoughts?

Old 03-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Stage 1 and my Dealer

Like you I've heard a lot of opinions but most say the downloads just aren't quite right yet on the 06's. I'd try another dealer in the area or an independent with references myself.

Try: http://stealer-dealer.com/sd_VA.htm for some feedback from your peers.

Good luck,
primo

Old 03-15-2006, 10:14 PM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The downloads have been beat up pretty bad on the forum. I think no, stay away from them.

Not everyone can do a SERT. Most dealers prefer the PCIII because it's easier and/or they just do not have the technical expertise to do the SERT properly. HD requires a whole bunch of certification to get to SERT classes. The PCII can be adjusted while on the Dyno. Whereas the SERT cannot. With the SERT the ECM (EPROM) is flashed and then the results checked on the Dyno. The PCIII has a smaller range than the SERT. Since you're at Stage I the PCIII would be a less expensive and more than adequate solution. You should have better luck finding dealer that can do the PCIII.

The rumor is that the EPA is getting tougher and SERT may become unavailable in the future. If you plan on going well beyond Stage 1 you may want to go after the SERT now. It's not rocket science but it's also not for the non technical.

Hope this and comments from others are helpful

Old 03-15-2006, 10:18 PM
Bluuzplayer
Advanced

They have a pretty glowing reputation (Waugh HD in Orange, VA). I was just suprised to hear they don't have a Dyno. I think your comment about they just don't have the 06's dialed in yet is very valid. I'll just sit and be patient until they do. Besides, I have the catalog and that can be dangerous enough on it's own!

Thanks!

Old 03-16-2006, 06:31 PM
DUMB AND DUMBER
Intermediate

Ok, I know I'm "Dumb and Dumber", but I just don't get it. As I earlier reported, My '06 is running great with the HD Download, Stage 2 Big Bore, and SE slip ons. My dealer did have to order the newest version, so he says, of the download. Also, dealer won't DYNO bike until I put on another 500 to 700 miles. I'll keep you posted but weather in Chicago right now is calling for 4 to 6 inches of the white stuff.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:15 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 148 Likes on 41 Posts

I think I can sum this up by saying that any bike will run "OK" with the download but much better with the SERT or PC III or the TFI. It depends on what you want out of the bike.