Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT tune without dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Loch
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT tune without dyno?

I just heard from a co-worker that a SERT can be tuned without a dyno. He has a SERT on his bike and the dealer downloaded a canned map that was closest to his upgrades and then the dealer tech rode the bike. He brings the bike back to the shop hooks up the SERT again and downloads information from the ride to the computer. The tech then goes in and reconfigures the tables based on what he sees. He also gets 48 to 51 mpg after this setup as well. The bike does not backfire at all and runs very strong. So my question is does this sound correct? Can a SERT be tuned by simply riding the bike and downloading information from the bikes ECU and then adjusting the tables based on that information? Is there a setting on the SERT software that allows this information to be stored and then retrieved?

Old 08-07-2006, 05:03 PM
VROCK SE
Cruiser
Default RE: SERT tune without dyno?

Yes, That is correct!
There is a Datalog program in EVERY SERT. You Hook a laptop to the SERT, with datalog running on the Laptop. And ride the bike for up to one hour. Riding through various throttle /RPM / Load conditions Etc. Come back and analyze the Data. Look for spark knock retard, And adjust the Cells that are needed. However this does not read AFR. But will tune any bike good enough for the typical rider. And you will get a better MAP than most DYNO tunes because this is actual riding conditions. It may take a few rides But if you have a SERT and a laptop. It can be done. There is also a great data capture unit on the market. Where you do not have to use a laptop. It is a DTT twinscan 88+, Which captures all the same data as the laptop and is much smaller. Just plug it into the ECM and ride, and return and download the data to a pc. This must be used in conjunction with a SERT. Which this is a open loop EFI system. Meaning that it does not self adjust from data received from o2 sensors. But DTT also has the market on that. They have a new closed loop system that will self adjust the ECM when any changes are made like pipes or baffles, Air cleaner/Cams/Etc. But you have to have two o2 sensors welded into your Head pipes. Approx 6" from the head. That retrieves the actual AFR readings. And Compensates up to 25% It is called VRIF-D or something like that.
Search Daytona Twin Tech and go to their site.
The day of the Dyno tune will be over soon. It is way too expensive. And if you do not have a great tuner. You can do better with a DTT/SERT combo or a DTT TS 88+ / Closed loop system.
And have a perfect tune every time. It is expensive, Maybe the cost of two Dyno sessions. But I am going to go with the Closed loop system when I can afford it.

Change pipes= self healing
Mod Baffles = Self healing
High flow AF = Self healing
Tempature =Self healing

THAT WOULD BE GREAT!!!!
And no , I am not a salesman or anything, Just excited that I am learning about the HD EFI system. And the new stuff on the market to fix HD screw ups that the dealer wants to Rape you for!

I am getting ready to take my laptop for a ride, And tune my own bike! Isn't life SWEEEEET!
Oh, BTW a great DYNO tuner can squeeze another 1/2 HP out of her with several HRs tuning. But unless you race for a living???? IS IT REALLY WORTH IT?

AFR = Air Fuel Ratio ( Just in Case)

Old 08-07-2006, 07:10 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m curious about the logistics of riding around with a laptop. Most laptops now days have spring loaded hard drives so they can tolerate a small bump or two, but riding around town, highway and country roads with your laptop? Sounds like your asking to loose your hard drive.

Obviously, you don’t strattle your laptop in your lap while your riding. But do you just smiply bungie it to the pillion and go for it?

Old 08-07-2006, 11:28 PM
ernestchet
Intermediate

laptops are tougher than you think.

i have ridden around with one in my saddle bags with no problem!! but, it is a old laptop that is not worth much$$

that being said, the daytona (DTT) 88+ scanner is way better!! get it and wego and you can make your own perfect map everytime! or as vrock stated, do the closed loop system....as i understand it thats what all the 07 harleys have now??

Old 08-07-2006, 11:51 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What is a wego anyway? I've read several posts about a wego snifing the exhaust? I only have a work laptop and they'll like shoot me if I crash the hard drive :-)

Thanks for the info. I'll research a wego and a (DDT) 88+ scanner.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:32 PM
ThudMeister
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read my post in the following thread to get it close...

https://www.hdforums.com/m_669361/tm.htm

Then go with Data Logging for fine tuning if you think you need it. Just my suggestion.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:11 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: priceamp

What is a wego anyway? I've read several posts about a wego snifing the exhaust? I only have a work laptop and they'll like shoot me if I crash the hard drive :-)

Thanks for the info. I'll research a wego and a (DDT) 88+ scanner.
Wide Band Exhaust Gas Oxygen Sensor. They read from 10:1 to 18:1 accurately