Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Dyna Ignition Module on EVO

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 10:40 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Dyna Ignition Module on EVO

Okay...Another problem....Picked the bike up from the shop, owner said they ran it 40 miles on the dyno at 70+ to check for oil leaks (Long story). When I dropped the bike off prior to that time for the new rocker boxes and dyno tune, I told him that perhaps the ignition module, a Dyna 2000, might have gotten zapped when the Battery and voltage regulator went out and the bike was 'jumped'. It seemed the the bike would vibrate a bit more than usual, run just a bit rough but not on a regular or routine basis. Owner of the shop gave me his usual 'Yeah (what the f*@K do you know)' look, but I don't think he ever checked it out, or that the problem showed up on the earlier dyno run.

So I leave the shop, go fill the bike up with 92 octane, run it about 15 miles on side streets to my son's house. I take off about three hours later and ride the seven miles back to my house. No problems...I cool the bike down and give it another wash, blow dry everything, then take off for a ride. I ride about six miles of side streets then get on the interstate and set the cruise at 70 and run for about 15 miles. Everything is running fine, I mean really fine....Then I make the turn to go home, and end up at a stop light...The bike seems to be idling about 200 rpm too high, so I 'blip' the throttle...when the rpms came down the bike nearly died. I ran the rpms up to 2000 and took off for home. I had to keep the rpms up above 2000 to keep the bike running...I made to the driveway and let off the throttle and of course...It died.

Tried to start it, and it would not stay running without applying the throttle....I pulled the cover off the cam cone to see if the timing plate had loosened up (been through that before), but it was tight.

What do you thing? Ignition module? Bad Gas? I'm skunked....Again.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:47 PM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Dyna Ignition Module on EVO

Probably not the ignition. Check the intake seals, might be the coil, float adjustment?

Old 09-16-2006, 11:06 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts
Default RE: Dyna Ignition Module on EVO

Man, I just don't know anymore. Bike is a 93, just had the top end redone, 10 over pistons, heads reworked and ported. New rocker boxes (Long story), All new gaskets. I've put 1600 miles on it since I got it back (the first time-another long story) It was running fine up until an hour ago. Well, it did have a bit of vibration that I can't explain. In fact it seemed like it had a lot of vibration up until around 3000 rpm where it seemed to 'smooth out'.

Like I said, I'm just wondering if the Dyna 2000 Module got zapped (I read in the FSM that a regulator or stator going out could cause problems with the module) and finally it's dying.

I believe I've still got the original module in one in my parts boxes, I'm gonna drain some gas outta the tank/carb tomorrow and see if there is any water in there. Then I might swap out the module and see. Like I said...I'm so fed up with the piece of crap right now that I better not get near it with tools.