Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Super Tuner Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 05:13 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Super Tuner Question

I have a 2006 Super Glide with stage I A/C and Big Radius exhaust. I am currently running a PC3 with the map for my bike. I have not had the bike dyno tuned. I kinda hate the PC3. The most frustrating thing to me is not being able to keep water out of the connectors. At this point I am ready to throw it out in the woods. I have been thinking about going with the Screamin Eagle Pro Super Tuner. I was wondering, if I get one, load a base map, then do the smart tune, shouldn't that get me a better tune than just using a canned map with the PC3?

Old 05-01-2011, 09:53 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master

Well, I decided to do it. Just ordered the SEPST with the software, cable set and tutorial. Hopefully some of you guys will be willing to help me along getting it tuned decent.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:36 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Yes you should be able to acheive a better ride using smarttune than just using a canned MAP from PC. Unless the canned MAP you used was a perfect match for your bike. but I have yet to see one that didn't need some tweaking. There is a sticky (by jluvs2ride) that is very informative about the SEPST, study up a little and post any questions you have there and we'll be able to get you hooked up.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:24 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master

Thanks Harleytuner. It is supposed to be delivered Thursday so I will be trying it out sometime this weekend. I am sure I will have some questions. From what I understand from reading the sticky you suggested, I should load the closest map I can find for my setup and then do some runs for recording and use Smarttune to make the adjustments based on those recordings? Is there a correct method for the recorded runs such as running as certain speeds on each run as one person suggested?

Old 05-04-2011, 06:00 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Just vary your speed. Ride in 5 MPH increments for about 5 or 6 seconds at each. Don't worry about getting it all done in 1 run. It'll take multiple runs to get it dialed in. Once you make a run or 2 and get familiar with the software it's pretty straight forward.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:44 AM
YellowHawk
Road Master

Sounds good, thanks. I can't wait to get it and get started. I ordered the tutorial too so hopefully that will be helpful as well. I saw on a youtube video that you need to go in and set a target AFR also. They said the default AFR target in the SEPST was too lean. Any truth to that?

Old 05-04-2011, 08:27 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The values in the AFR table are very lean. The most commonly used practice is to Smart tune. Then when that process is complete work on the afr table.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:09 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Exactly. Leave the AFR tables alone untill you are done smarttuning. Then you can set them where you want them.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:33 PM
pled55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YellowHawk
Sounds good, thanks. I can't wait to get it and get started. I ordered the tutorial too so hopefully that will be helpful as well. I saw on a youtube video that you need to go in and set a target AFR also. They said the default AFR target in the SEPST was too lean. Any truth to that?
i'm pretty much in the same situation .i want to try my sepst on mt street glide .all i have is reinhart slip-ons and heavy breather .i think after i load the initial map then maybe a couple sessions of smart tune i can get it to run decently.post what you do and maybe i can pick up on it .

Old 05-04-2011, 08:13 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master

pled55, I will post what I do. Just keep in mind that I know nothing about this so I will be going off what these other guys on here tell me to do. I think I am pretty clear on loading the base map and doing the smart tune. I will need help with adjusting the AFR tables after that is finished though because I have no clue about how to do that. I still need to read up on it when I get the SEPST and watch the tutorial. I have just been asking some questions so I will have some idea of where to start when I do get it. It should be here tomorrow and I will be getting started on it Friday.

Quick Reply: Super Tuner Question