Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TSSM install

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 01:30 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts
Default TSSM install

I installed the factory TSSM with the wiring harness as well for my 1998 Ultra. The kit is designed for the 1997-1999 models.

I followed the instructions.....now, no engine light nor fuel pump and bike won't even try to start. However, the security key does come on, but then briefly goes off.

I went back to the fuse panel and reinstalled the original grey wire in the back of the fuse panel. Then I loose the security key, but the engine light works and the fuel pump works...engine starts and runs.

I've read about marrying the TSSM to the ECM....however, my bike won't even attempt to start like it should according to the marrying process.

A little help would be great

Old 11-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Aborigen2
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The TSSM incorporates a BAS (Bank Angle Sensor), the mounting orientation is critical.
If you have done the wiring correct then from your description it looks like the TSSM is mounted in a “TipOver” Position.

If you tell me what is the HD Part Number on the TSSM you have I may be able to provide you with better help. They have different TSSM P/Ns which require different mounting orientation.
For 1998 vehicles the TSSM does not need to be "married" to the ECM, they do not "talk" on the data bus. The imobilization of the vehicle is done through voltage signal.
Abo

Old 12-01-2011, 05:22 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Aborigen2
The TSSM incorporates a BAS (Bank Angle Sensor), the mounting orientation is critical.
If you have done the wiring correct then from your description it looks like the TSSM is mounted in a “TipOver” Position.

If you tell me what is the HD Part Number on the TSSM you have I may be able to provide you with better help. They have different TSSM P/Ns which require different mounting orientation.
For 1998 vehicles the TSSM does not need to be "married" to the ECM, they do not "talk" on the data bus. The imobilization of the vehicle is done through voltage signal.
Abo
The TSSM part number is 69173-02. I have it installed in the upright positon under the seat and behind the battery. Could it be stuck in the "tip over" postion? Thanks

Old 12-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Aborigen2
Cruiser

Originally Posted by EVOrider
The TSSM part number is 69173-02. I have it installed in the upright positon under the seat and behind the battery. Could it be stuck in the "tip over" postion? Thanks
Nop, your TSSM is not in “Tip Over”, you’ve installed it in correct position.

I wasn’t able to find wiring instructions for your kit so I don’t know what ‘grey wire” you had removed/ rewired.

On the other hand I’m a bit familiar with the operation of all TSSM/ Security Modules, and can give you some idea what to expect from that module you have.

1.) When you purchase the module the Security System is not yet activated. So, if your wiring is correct the bike should operate as normal, as if there is no security system.
2.) You can check if the TSSM is correctly connected by:
a. Turn Ignition ON
b. Activate Turn Signals, Left then Right – both should be working as normal.

3.) Now it is time for you to assign the FOBs you received to the TSSM module. The procedure is called “Key FOB Assignment” and is in the manual you received with the kit.
4.) Then you enter the PIN (personal Identification Number). You’ll need that to disarm your system in case you lose your FOB, or the FOB runs out of battery, or if you’ve parked in area with high electromagnetic interference
5.) Once you assign FOB and PIN then you “Arm” the system by holding the FOB button down until Turn Signals flash twice. The “Security LED” should start flashing
Anyways, you can read the whole operation in the manual.

Sounds like the grey wire is actually Ignition wire to the ECM and TSSM. I wonder why did you have to disconnect it?

Old 12-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Aborigen2
Cruiser

OK, I found a schematic of the harness you are using.
On the harness you got with the TSSM there are two terminals hanging on Grey wires, one terminal is Male, the other is Female
That’s the circuit interrupting power to the ignition module and immobilizing the vehicle.
You pull the Grey wire terminal out of the Fuse Box; and on it’s place you put in one of the terminals of the TSSM harness.
Then to complete the circuit you have to mate the terminal you just removed from the Fuse Box with the other terminal of the TSSM harness (with Grey wire)
When the TSSM is “Armed” the Grey wire is interrupted and vehicle can not be started.

Your TSSM is a “Retrofit” P&A option. It does not have the “Tip Over” enabled. Your Tip Over protection is provided by external Bank Angle Sensor connected to the ECM.
If you need more help let me know.
Good luck!

Old 12-02-2011, 09:11 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok, so the two grey wires are suppose to be mated? After that, all that is needed to do is to program the fobs right? Much thanks for you!

Old 12-04-2011, 06:32 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member

All is good now....there was an extra grey wire tucked up inside the TSSM wiring harness where you could not see it. The security system works just like it should now.....cool.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Aborigen2
Cruiser

Originally Posted by EVOrider
All is good now....there was an extra grey wire tucked up inside the TSSM wiring harness where you could not see it. The security system works just like it should now.....cool.
Good job, ata boy!!! )