Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tuning Reference

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tuning Reference

Okay, for all you tuning guru's out there, please tell me if there is a tuning reference book or article I can get to help me understand how to tune the EFI in my bike. I've searched the forum and internet and have found some good articles on software and equipment, but not on tuning itself, or troubleshooting tuning problems.

I've read the SERT manual and understand how to use the software. What I'm not fully understanding is what to change for a desired result, such as enrichening the AFR to eliminate popping on decel. How do I learn what to do without trial and error, and maybe damaging my bike?

Help, guys!

Old 01-19-2007, 11:46 AM
cjuetten
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tuning Reference

First off how many bought an 07 because they had a 6 speed and a 96" motor despite the fact that they were fuel injected ???

Hopefully someone will prove me wrong but:

I don't think there is much out there yet, at least not specific to SERT. Why because there hasn't been a demand for it until now.Prior to07 the hard core DYIwould always go with the carb model, it was what we knew and information was plentiful. The real EFItuners are usually employed at the local Harley Dealer or own/run a dyno shop and make their business fromthe guys who hireout major mods. They most likely learned in a course specific class. This benefits all as they need to make a livingand it motivates us to figure out how we can do it our selves.

Now that EFI is the ONLY option. The demand for such information outside of a structured class is just starting to surface. There are some very sharp tuners out there and I believe its just a matter of time before one of them seethis as a possible businessopportunity, to apply their knowledge and make some cash. This market is only going to grow. 4 months ago a SERT question hardlygot noticed. Now they are one of the most highly debated post(6 speed trannys excluded).

Old 01-19-2007, 12:17 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: cjuetten

First off how many bought an 07 because they had a 6 speed and a 96" motor despite the fact that they were fuel injected ???

Hopefully someone will prove me wrong but:

I don't think there is much out there yet, at least not specific to SERT. Why because there hasn't been a demand for it until now.Prior to07 the hard core DYIwould always go with the carb model, it was what we knew and information was plentiful. The real EFItuners are usually employed at the local Harley Dealer or own/run a dyno shop and make their business fromthe guys who hireout major mods. They most likely learned in a course specific class. This benefits all as they need to make a livingand it motivates us to figure out how we can do it our selves.

Now that EFI is the ONLY option. The demand for such information outside of a structured class is just starting to surface. There are some very sharp tuners out there and I believe its just a matter of time before one of them seethis as a possible businessopportunity, to apply their knowledge and make some cash. This market is only going to grow. 4 months ago a SERT question hardlygot noticed. Now they are one of the most highly debated post(6 speed trannys excluded).
Good point and hence the reason I'm having to FORCE myself to go slow with my build. I like doing things on my stuff myself. If this forum is a "community" then the experienced will take the lead and us neophites will follow. Lots to learn, so little time to learn it.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:10 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And, with ThunderMax now offering the Auto Tune feature, it may not be as much problem before long -- bikes will just continually tune themselves.

But, some bikes (like mine) still require some degree of tuning knowledge since Auto Tune is not available for it, and the Magnetti Marelli EFI conversion kit is EXPENSIVE. Buying a SERT would still be the way to go.

Based on what you're both saying, though, a readily available reference manual may not exist.

Bummer.