Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

DIY Flash programming stock EFI

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 11:37 AM
g0tcha
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hi dude

i am really sad you never get to your end goal, but i would really like to work with you on some other subjects as you look like you have the skill. my approach to this is different. 1 method is frowned upon so i wont discuss it here. the other method is i actually reverse the actual firmware of the ECM to extract the seed/key algorithm. this is the first time i am touching harley but have worked on many new vehicles immobilizer, dashboard and ecu algorithms from the oldest to the last across all makes and models. besides the ecm i am after the BCM algorithms as well. did you ever open any BCM to see what processor is inside ?

Old 06-20-2017, 06:20 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

How about trying to tune motorcycles instead of trying to hack someone else intellectual property.

Maybe best to take this elsewhere!

Old 06-20-2017, 08:09 PM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

Definitely dark web content. Im all for curiosity and challenge but this is out right theft

Old 06-20-2017, 11:05 PM
g0tcha
4th Gear

well obviously from the responses I can gather you not very technical and jumping to conclusions, but the frowned upon of which i dont want to discuss is not because its illegal, but because many engineers have a different opinion on it and it opens up a whole different debate.

so for the sake of clarity and so that you may educate yourselves on the subject its to do with logging and analyzing of an application or software which already supports the function.

in any event while you wasted your time actually jumping to conclusions, and for those really interested in an update on how i made progress. i managed to dump the proc 9s12 of the ecu and found the routines which allow me to calculate the seed/key algorithm for flashing the ecu. i would appreciate if anyone can offer some seednkey pairs and also just seeds, so that i can calc the key and give it to you to confirm if my calculations are correct. it seems the algo is for CAN and not VPW.

in the meantime i am looking into the chksumm algorithms.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:11 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Hacking crypto, reverse engineering MCU firmware, and flashing the ECU is not, for the sake of clarity, logging ...and yes, CAN is not the same as J1850

Last edited by Gordon61; 06-21-2017 at 03:21 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:11 PM
redbeard_trucks
Novice

Originally Posted by g0tcha
hi dude

i am really sad you never get to your end goal, but i would really like to work with you on some other subjects as you look like you have the skill. my approach to this is different. 1 method is frowned upon so i wont discuss it here. the other method is i actually reverse the actual firmware of the ECM to extract the seed/key algorithm. this is the first time i am touching harley but have worked on many new vehicles immobilizer, dashboard and ecu algorithms from the oldest to the last across all makes and models. besides the ecm i am after the BCM algorithms as well. did you ever open any BCM to see what processor is inside ?
Well, I did try this approach as well. I was able to extract the full firmware via the bus logger. but then all I had was a hex file. I converted the hex file into assembly code, which was clearly originally C code. Converting assembly back into C is quite challenging.

I looked for clues to where the algorithm code was, but had now luck reverse engineering it. I knew where the seed and key were stored, as they were easy to find in the hex file. I then looked for areas that accesses those memory locations, still no luck.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:18 PM
redbeard_trucks
Novice

Originally Posted by GregGillette
Definitely dark web content. Im all for curiosity and challenge but this is out right theft
Once you own the bike, you own everything in it.

You can remove a bolt and replace it with something better, why is software/firmware any different.

Yes, if you hack the code and develop a product from it, and capitalize on the work of others, then it's theft.

But if you're only modifying your bike, which you own, it's not theft.

my opinion....for what it's worth.

When you had a bike with a carburetor, and you put on bigger exhaust, for example, you had to put new jets in your carburetor, right? the jets cost you a little bit of money, and you probably had the to tools to put them in for not a lot of money.

the tune data in the ECM is no different than the jets in your carburetor. They affect how much fuel you engine gets. However, you have to buy very expensive tools to make the change! It should be affordable, just like changing jets!

Last edited by redbeard_trucks; 06-21-2017 at 02:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GROOVY1975 (02-11-2024)
Old 06-21-2017, 05:28 PM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by redbeard_trucks
Once you own the bike, you own everything in it.

You can remove a bolt and replace it with something better, why is software/firmware any different.

Yes, if you hack the code and develop a product from it, and capitalize on the work of others, then it's theft.

But if you're only modifying your bike, which you own, it's not theft.

my opinion....for what it's worth.

When you had a bike with a carburetor, and you put on bigger exhaust, for example, you had to put new jets in your carburetor, right? the jets cost you a little bit of money, and you probably had the to tools to put them in for not a lot of money.

the tune data in the ECM is no different than the jets in your carburetor. They affect how much fuel you engine gets. However, you have to buy very expensive tools to make the change! It should be affordable, just like changing jets!
Then write your own firmware and software or build your own ecm. Distinct difference in changing a physical part, produced and purchased, than cracking and changing code. Im good with purchasing tools to change that code just like you purchase jets. Thats my opinion

Old 07-25-2017, 10:06 AM
Martin_
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, there's already some tool available to ''read/write'' Harley ECM since they came out. I'm the owner of a car/truck chiptuning companie since 10+ years now (MRTuning in quebec) and then I just started to look into providing tune for Harley, and my actual tool that I use for car do have the protocol to read/write Harley ECM. This is Alientech Kess V2, there is other tool but these are the one I use, the problem is that it's 6000$usd for the tool and car/bike protocol, so it's not worth it for DIY'erI guess.

I do also have a registered software to edit ECM file that is another 3000$, and what I'm looking for is to find documentation on ''harley'' specific file, they are called ''Damos, A2l,etc.. file) having the .bin file is ok, having the software to edit the file is ok, but to have map definition, factor & ofset of each map and their axis is another story, without this, you can't do much, as an example, If we need to increase the RPM cut off to 6000rpm, the value to search in the file maybee something like 58962 in hexadecimal, and we also need to know where it's located in the file.

If someone have any info on this, it will be appreciated.

Just a tip, we all know that chinese are copying everything they can, so it's possible for a DIY'er to find a cheap clone of what it's needed to read write harley ECM.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:25 AM
Martin_
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW... here is the tool in question

Attached Thumbnails DIY Flash programming stock EFI-img_1024.jpg   DIY Flash programming stock EFI-img_1025.jpg  

Quick Reply: DIY Flash programming stock EFI