Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

P1511 code EFI power mgmt

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Grumppa
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy P1511 code EFI power mgmt

I cannot get my bike to start so that I can continue on with troubleshooting. I have the code p1511 that from other threads I have been reading leads me to the throttle control actuator?
I have tried all of the tips -cleaning connectors, diaelectric grease, clearing the code etc.. my question is How do I determine if i need to replace the electrical connectors vs replacing the throttle control actuator?
Do i need to dig further since I cannot even get it to crank at all or is that a clear indication that the tCA is shot?

Old 05-18-2013, 05:49 PM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Well code 1511 wont stop the bike from cranking or starting.
Code 1511 is power management for the throttle control but still allows limp home mode so bike should start and crank.
What work has been done to the bike to make this code set?

Just read in the other thread that you just recently changed the grips..........

I will bet that you have a pinched wire(s) under the right hand control and a few blown fuses (check the fuses with a multimeter)

Might have taken 2 days to short out but that happens some times once the wire shifts when hitting a bump whilst riding.................good luck

Last edited by scotty3; 05-18-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Grumppa
Intermediate

Thanks Scotty3 ,
I checked all of the fuses ok, how can I test the starter relay? it did let me limp home for about 6 miles then it just died and would not restart. Do you think I need to pull out the throttle sensor wire in the handle bar to eliminate that?

Old 05-21-2013, 02:59 PM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

You said it will not crank is this correct ?

Not cranking has nothing to do with that code it is a separate item...........

However since you put new grips on and that required undoing the screws on the RHS and LHS controls and now you have a code and no start condition it this correct?

Well I would be going back to the last thing done and checking all my work as what you are describing sounds like a pinched wire(s) in the RHS controls and the only way to check is to pull it apart and separate the wires and check them carefully.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Grumppa
Intermediate

KISS-- keep it simple stupid
thanks for all of your great suggestions I went back to where I started the Installation of new grips. I took them off and on 5 times before I finally got it right but thanks to you guys I opened every electrical connection and cleaned the contacts applied dielectric grease and charged the battery. The bike started and I have taken it out for a couple of short test runs but so far it looks like I do not need the 4 week wait for a new Throttle Control Actuator.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Grumppa
Intermediate

Scotty3 Thanks I did what you said and went back to the beginning, it looks like I must have pinched the wires in the switch housing.