M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 08:40 AM
Yukon42
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by cruisinmann
No actually he's right in motorcycle.com its right in the article
“The cure was worse than the disease, putting the adjustment in caused you to have more adjustments.” said Bozmoski, “It was the thing that wore the most.” So, once the valve lash is set at the factory, no adjustment will be required for the life of the engine. Bozmoski stresses, ”After one and a half million miles and over 7,000 hours of accelerated dyno durability, you don’t see any of them needing an adjustment. They wear together.”

I seen the same thing
Sure....and there was never a problem with the oil pump either! Ha!

Old 10-11-2016, 08:39 PM
Roadsmoker
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bad Vehicle speed sensor o-ring

I just took my 2017 Limited back in for 2nd time for oil leak in the same place. Less than 2000 miles on it.The 1st time they said it was a bad vehicle speed sensor o-ring. The leak looks to be coming from the same area.

About to set out on a 4 day trip through western Arkansas. Hopefully they will figure it out before blastoff!

Old 10-12-2016, 09:29 AM
hikervt
Banned
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadsmoker
I just took my 2017 Limited back in for 2nd time for oil leak in the same place. Less than 2000 miles on it.The 1st time they said it was a bad vehicle speed sensor o-ring. The leak looks to be coming from the same area.

About to set out on a 4 day trip through western Arkansas. Hopefully they will figure it out before blastoff!
Where is that sensor located? Hopefully no where near the area were they've seen cracked cases.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:56 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

VSS will be in the transmission housing. Won't be related to the cracked engine cases. The VSS has an "O"ring that could be cut, but if they replaced the sensor and it still leaks it could possibly be a cracked case from it being installed to tight from the beginning. Or more than likely it's oil being blown into that area from somewhere else.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:02 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Picked up my 17 M8 Triglide and babied it on the way home. Not over 3k rpm, easy starts and stops, no lugging. At around 50 miles, I began to notice an oil smell. I was a few miles from home so just went ahead. On getting home, my hand brushed the fear fender and I felt oil. I looked at the right side of the engine and sure enough, right below the pushrod tubes was a puddle of oil and on the fender and backrest too. I called the dealer and they came and picked it up. They test rode it and said "with the Air Cleaner off , it doesn't leak, with it on it does leak" I'm thinking I kind of need that air cleaner on there to ....clean the air.

They had a Harley rep come and tear down the engine. The checked every portion to see if there were manufacturing defects in the metal. Tests proved negative. The inspected every seal, gasket and o ring and found nothing. They put it back together with new seals, gaskets and o rings and rode it WITH the air cleaner on and no leaks. I am going to pick it up today. Harley rep told me via phone to take it and ride it. It has a 2 year warranty. If something is going to happen it will. The MOCO is very interested to know why the M8's have any problem and will work closely with the dealer. He said they would ****** an engine out and replace it in a minute just to take the old one back to the factory and analyze it. They don't want issues on these bikes.

Will keep the forum advised on how it goes.

Steve

If it's fixed, I will be happy. I am going to ride the snot out of it. If something happens, it happens. They will fix it.

The following 3 users liked this post by Steve On 3:
16Slim (03-03-2018), MarkBorg (11-06-2016), Toolmaster (07-22-2018)
Old 10-12-2016, 01:06 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve On 3
Picked up my 17 M8 Triglide and babied it on the way home. Not over 3k rpm, easy starts and stops, no lugging. At around 50 miles, I began to notice an oil smell. I was a few miles from home so just went ahead. On getting home, my hand brushed the fear fender and I felt oil. I looked at the right side of the engine and sure enough, right below the pushrod tubes was a puddle of oil and on the fender and backrest too. I called the dealer and they came and picked it up. They test rode it and said "with the Air Cleaner off , it doesn't leak, with it on it does leak" I'm thinking I kind of need that air cleaner on there to ....clean the air.

They had a Harley rep come and tear down the engine. The checked every portion to see if there were manufacturing defects in the metal. Tests proved negative. The inspected every seal, gasket and o ring and found nothing. They put it back together with new seals, gaskets and o rings and rode it WITH the air cleaner on and no leaks. I am going to pick it up today. Harley rep told me via phone to take it and ride it. It has a 2 year warranty. If something is going to happen it will. The MOCO is very interested to know why the M8's have any problem and will work closely with the dealer. He said they would ****** an engine out and replace it in a minute just to take the old one back to the factory and analyze it. They don't want issues on these bikes.

Will keep the forum advised on how it goes.

Steve

If it's fixed, I will be happy. I am going to ride the snot out of it. If something happens, it happens. They will fix it.
Well that sucks. Please keep us updated.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:02 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by hikervt
Where is that sensor located? Hopefully no where near the area were they've seen cracked cases.

VSS is under the starter motor on top of the transmission. Has a 3 wire connector going to it.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:36 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Lab Rat Never Again

This is the exact reason I chose not to take my servicing dealer up on his offer to trade off of my '16 tri glide onto a new Limited Low in the two tone blue for a $500.00 cash difference otd. Been there, done that with the original twin cam.

The following users liked this post:
jd05flhtci (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 08:11 PM
Roadsmoker
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bad Vehicle speed sensor o-ring

I got a call today saying that this time they replaced the VSS and not just the o-ring.
They have taken it out for a 30 mile run and no leak. I hope that takes care of it.
If it happens again, I will then try and have them look into a possible crack. Fingers crossed that it is fixed and all will be well.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:01 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Went to pick my bike up. Took my other key fob with my house keys and all on it. Had left a key an fob with the bike when it went in for repair. Bike with start with fob I left but not with the one that was at home during the repair.

Go next door to Quaker Steak and LUbe to eat. Dealership closes, we eat and I start home. 11.4 miles later the check engine light comes on with the temp light. I pull over and shut it off and let it sit. call the sales guy's cell. No answer. Text him, no response. Cranked it without the temp light this time and drove it back to the dealer. Found a guy who was still there and gave him my keys. Told him I didn't care if he took it in or let it sit but he had the keys and the dealer was now responsible for it. He didn't like that and said he couldn't move it. I said fine, it is insured.

Bottom line, I have ridden it a total of 70 miles, they have ridden it over 70. It has gone down twice. I have had it at my house less than 24 hours, they have had it a week.

I am going to offer three options this morning
1. New engine
2.New Trike
3. My trade in back and deal nullified with money returned to me.

Your thoughts?

Quick Reply: M8 problems