Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 04:30 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Slopok_KS
Your knowledge is extremely appreciated.. Thank you.
Last bit of info I got and I think that the ones that are really keeping it real is that the issue with migrating oils from tranny to primary is limited ONLY to bikes with hydraulic clutch. Those being the touring series. And there is no fix.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:54 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,166 Likes on 3,522 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
Last bit of info I got and I think that the ones that are really keeping it real is that the issue with migrating oils from tranny to primary is limited ONLY to bikes with hydraulic clutch. Those being the touring series. And there is no fix.
The fat rod is a fix. Harley has no fix.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:12 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Exactly
inly fix is eliminate the hydraulic clutch system

Last edited by splattttttt; 04-25-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:29 PM
northshore_paul
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
Exactly
inly fix is eliminate the hydraulic clutch system
Does anyone think Harley will step up to the plate and do a recall and repair all the bikes out there with hydraulic clutches??? With their history of responding to this problem I doubt it....and that should be something that anyone remotely thinking of buying any model should reflect on if that is the manner they stand behind their product and engineering. The only big twin I would own would be a evolution engine model. Yes they are old but proven, no cam issues and only the cylinder weeping oil at the base but I can live with that.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:56 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,255 Likes on 3,627 Posts

Originally Posted by northshore_paul
Does anyone think Harley will step up to the plate and do a recall and repair all the bikes out there with hydraulic clutches??? With their history of responding to this problem I doubt it....and that should be something that anyone remotely thinking of buying any model should reflect on if that is the manner they stand behind their product and engineering. The only big twin I would own would be a evolution engine model. Yes they are old but proven, no cam issues and only the cylinder weeping oil at the base but I can live with that.
Now that's funny with your list of bikes including a 2000 FLHTC. Personally, I've like them all. All the way back to the flatheads. Still own Evos and TCs. Still think every one is better than the last including the M8.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:13 AM
northshore_paul
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, I do need to change the list. I did sell my bagger and the sportster. I was coming up on time for the cam chain pressure block check and I just did not want to deal with it. Besides I am getting long in the tooth, lol, and it was getting a little heavy for me to handle, not like my younger days.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:09 AM
Jaybo99
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17 sgs not starting in gear

I've seen a few posts about the 17s not starting in gear due to the clutch switch In the left switch pack, is this a known issue? My dealer tried to tell me it's a new safety deal Harley added, even though it worked when I first got it and now it will not start unless it's in neutral.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:19 AM
hairymoth
Road Warrior
Received 1,227 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaybo99
I've seen a few posts about the 17s not starting in gear due to the clutch switch In the left switch pack, is this a known issue? My dealer tried to tell me it's a new safety deal Harley added, even though it worked when I first got it and now it will not start unless it's in neutral.
The Dealer replaced mine under warranty about a year ago. No issues with it since.
As I recall, he did need to order the replacement parts.

The following users liked this post:
Jaybo99 (04-26-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 07:22 AM
Jaybo99
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hairymoth
The Dealer replaced mine under warranty about a year ago. No issues with it since.
As I recall, he did need to order the replacement part
s.
They flat out told me that is how it's supposed to be and there is no problem with it, so they lied to me about it,

Old 04-26-2019, 09:51 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

That can happen to any brand of motorcycle and not just our beloved potato potato sound macines

Quick Reply: M8 problems